Slapping with a ring?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by pharasoth, Dec 19, 2004.

1. pharasoth

Nov 27, 2004
    I found a malleble ring that conforms to my thumb nicely and sits right between the bottom of the nail and the knuckle... Will slapping with this (not extremely hard) **** up the strings? I saw this slap ring somewhere that slides on your whole thumb and apparently no one has problems with that so i cant imagine this being a problem... any experience with this or warnings or whatever? I'm hoping my strings aren't going to break doing this too much cause i really like the sound i get plus i can use it sort of like a pseudo slide bar ..

2. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
  3. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I have two rings. One is my thumb ring which I got at the beach. I use it for slap and it sounds great. The other is my class ring on my index finger, useless for bass. Still, both act well as weights for slap.
  4. Jiro

Mar 15, 2004
  5. From watching the videos I can almost feel the severe case of carpal tunnel syndrome those bassists are developing. Seriously, in bass playing you want to minimize the amount that your wrist twists and turns in order to avoid possible injuries.

6. ...I should try to use your forearm as much as you can,rather than your wrist.