Slapping with finger tips?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Flippyhogwash, Feb 16, 2021.

1. Flippyhogwash

Flippyhogwash

Feb 16, 2021
    So I picked up the bass about two months ago and have been really enjoying it so far. I’ve been practicing with the typical slap technique, but have noticed that I get better sound by using the tips of my index, middle, and ring finger to slap each string. I’ve trying looking up to see what the down falls to this technique would be but can’t find anything on it. Has anyone heard of playing like this before?

SteveCS likes this.
  2. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    Yes. As one that doesn't really go in for full-fat slap lines but that likes to punctuate my fingerstyle lines with the occasional percussive slap/pop accent, it is a routine technique for me.

Crispus and jfh2112 like this.
  3. viper4000

viper4000

Aug 17, 2010
    Charlotte
    Yup, it is called tapping. It is a very worth while technique.

Good luck!

4. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I’m fairly sure that’s not what the OP is talking about. I think he’s talking about striking the string with a finger tip rather than with the thumb like traditional slap technique, not tapping over the fretboard.

Crispus, HolmeBass, stigbeve and 8 others like this.
  5. viper4000

viper4000

Aug 17, 2010
    Charlotte
    Fair enough. In that case, disregard OP.

6. Nuage420

Nuage420 smile Supporting Member

Dec 7, 2014
    USA
    John Myung's style is like that.

HolmeBass likes this.
  7. I heard a guy talking about Bootsy's technique of slapping with an open palm and hitting the strings with his fingers. He said Bootsy was "patting" the bass.

Then there's the Entwistle typewriter technique.

LimitedCandidEwe-small.gif 474630948ca8c51a1439bff6e58f2e3b_w200.gif

8. I do play like this from time to time, usually switching off from thumb to, as you say,get a better sound.

I don't think there is any downfall to playing like this and do think I tend to be more accurate playing this way.

In this vid I'm playing on an amp that isn't mine so I'm jumping all over technique wise to try to get tone I like. The sound on the vid is pretty bad so you can't really hear the difference.

You can see me using this technique around 00:29 and again at 1:01 and 1:23.

wncBass, Matty Koff and DrMole like this.
  9. Supadope

Supadope Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2015
    Louisville
    My goal is to leave the world a cooler place than when I arrived.
    Ryan Martinie of Mudvayne kinda plays like that. Here's a clip of him from Warwick's Fuss on the Buss event.

10. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    That is the first thing discussedi in Chuck Rainey's 4th book...
    20210217_075803.jpg 20210217_075947.jpg 20210217_080037.jpg

11. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

It's a very good way to slap natural harmonics.

12. kaljultdgl

kaljultdgl

Oct 21, 2019
    I play with this kind of technique in a thrash metal band. I think it sound good and it's easy and fun to do fast galloping rythms like this.

13. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Doug Wimbish slaps that way.

5StringBlues and T Bassman like this.
  14. WestyBassBob

WestyBassBob

Mar 2, 2020
    Thanks for posting! I can’t do traditional slap to save my life but I’ve been playing around with something similar. Glad to know I’m in good company.

15. BtaylorTheRogue

BtaylorTheRogue

Nov 14, 2016
    On the one hand, it's totally awesome to find out I'm not the only person with this sweet funky style.

On the other hand, it's frustrating to see my own personal sweet funky style, which belongs only to me ever, and nobody else, showing up on part 1 of a guide book. :roflmao::roflmao:

SteveCS and LowRenzo like this.
  16. WestyBassBob

WestyBassBob

Mar 2, 2020
    There is nothing new under the sun and there is always someone better than you.

I’m was worried someone would tell me I was a terrible bassist for doing this.

J_Bass likes this.
  17. chris lykins

chris lykins Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    phoenix az
    That’s a huge part of Ryan’s technique, plus the weird tuning

18. gpTron

gpTron

Dec 15, 2020
    NJ
    Yeah when I first started playing bass I kept using the traditional slap technique. But then as I got tired of that I started incorporating the finger slap like Entwistle or Martinie to get those percussive sounds. Can really add a lot to songs.

19. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    ...from 1985, no less!!

20. Steadfast

Steadfast

Sep 28, 2015
    Search Me
    I do it this way. I refuse to slap any other way because it is natural this way to me.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 24, 2022