Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

slapping with fretless

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Guybrush, Sep 17, 2004.

1. "hit" thumb against string.

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    It's about the same as on a fretted, it's just that you have to pay close attention to your intonation. I found that a warwick thumb NT 5 fretless with round wounds sounded amazing slapped. Had this cool chirp to it.

3. sound clips?

I'm interested in this "chirp"

4. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    wasn't my bass. I just tryed a friend's, and he's one of those people that changes gear every couple months.

5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    You can get a peculiar sound sometimes depending on how you slap and what particular fretless you're slapping on.

I slap on my fretlesses using the same techniques I use on fretted. Plus I can slide if I want.

:hyper:

6. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Mine has a coated board, and it sounds very much like a burpy chorus effect has been added when I slap. It's interesting.

As far as advice on slapping on fretless, all I can say is that the hardest part of it is the same as the hardest part of playing fretless fingerstyle-intonation. Just keep practicing octaves ad naseum. Because the popping effect doesn't allow much room to 'slide into' the proper note, bad intonation will really be audible when slapping. And I can tell you ALL ABOUT bad intonation ;)

7. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    IME you can slide into a pop on fretted or fretless.

8. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I didn't mean an actual slide-I meant more of the old "I'm five cents flat on my fretless intonation so I'll roll my finger into the right note" deal. I'm sure it can be done well, but with the normal speed and short, percussive nature of popping, I've had a hard time doing it while trying to keep the authoritative punch and preciseness of the note.

9. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I slap on a fretless Yamaha BB404F. Superlow action (thank-you Gary Willis and TB) and TI Flats with a JJ config...well, let's just say it's a nice, nice, NICE tone. It also feels really nice to slap on. Give it a go! The TI's add a sonic characteristic I've never heard in ANY other flat, so don't be put off by the flatwound factor.