Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Jazzin', Jul 16, 2004.

1. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

hehe, in the last two days, ive improved so much in slapping. i guess its because ive been practicing alot only slapping lately. ive also figured out some good combinations of volume(of each pickup) and tone on my bass with the eq on my amp.
    i practiced mixing slapping and popping together, and even plucking normally. and at the same time my improving skills have gotten better too, cuz i was just improving over some minor, major and dominant chords and scales. and inventing some cool chord progressions while playing. but mainly i practiced Imin7 then IV7 over and over. this thread is quite useless, i guess its reason is to show that practice helps and also that im getting better at slapping.
  2. Bassman1988

Jul 16, 2004
    :help: How much did you practice??? I am trying to learn how to slap but it just isnt comming to me! Mabee it is cause i havent practiced it enugh???
  3. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    What bass do you play? I tried to learn on my first bass, and it didn't come to me. When I bought my second bass, and it was easier. Now, I have the hang of it, and could play quite well on my Ric. I just picked up a Thumb NT a GC, and it's so much easier to slap. I love it!
  4. Jazzin'

not too much, like 1.5 hours of concentrated slapping time per day. but i was mainly slapping. i also changed my technique a little, now i keep my index finger closer to my thumb so i can pop faster, and go back and forth really fast too.
  5. FunkyDom

Aug 31, 2002
    I remember when I first started, I had flatwound strings on my bass (don't ask why) and it just always sounded stupid...Once I made the change to roundwounds, I started slappin like a monster :bassist:
  6. Yeah slapping took me a bit of practices, try playing octaves while slapping and moving around the fretboard that the way i used to practice.
  7. Whats wrong with flat wouds?!? :S
  8. So the Thumb NT is working out for ya huh? It's so much easier on a bass made to be played that way, isn't it? And the cool thing with a Thumb is you can play any other style quite happily on it too - I love my Thumb and it never lets me down - and always cuts through, they are simply killer basses. I auditioned for a new funk band this weekend and got the gig - and even after owning my Warwick for 14 years it still gets the "Oooh, that's a nice bass" reaction when I take it out the bag - I almost pause and wait for it...glad you're having fun with your new bass.

9. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    It is an amazing bass, but it came with heavy gauge strings. I ordered some Rotosound funkmasters which are .30-.90 and some wax. The tone of that little bass is so amazing. You can get a good twangy funk tone or a deep low end growl thing. I think I might have to retire my Ric :p.
  10. Jazzin'

i can't practice slapping for a while. i ruined my thumb in football when when my QB threw a bullet pass and my allready bad thumb got worse. it's slightly swollen and it hurts to move it. but i doubt its broken cuz i can still still move it and its not extremely painful.