Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

slapping

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by kake_eater, Jul 4, 2001.

1. slap

5 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. play

10 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. kake_eater

kake_eater Guest

Jun 26, 2001
    over there
    i think that slapping is a waste. when i play i dont slap. i think its useless. ok so maybe thats Fieldy from korns way of playing BUT COME ON!! a blind monkey with one hand could play better. well thats my opinion and i just wanted to see what you think

andrew

2. if you think that slap is a waste you obviously haven't been playing for very long or doing it wrong and i don't mean that to be an insult, but slapping, when done properly, gives the sound a slight kick in the ass and if you think that's it's only good in fieldy's case then you must not listening to too many bass players. victor wooten, les claypool, john entwistle, i think ryknow does it, stanley clarke and a bunch of other people do it so to say that fieldy is the only one that it's ok in his music well your wrong

3. slap or play? trick question. slapping is a method of playing. i use both sometimes in the same song. i dont think that a bass player is classified as a slapper or a player. i believe that the more diverse your playing the better a player you are.

4. and furthermore, a blind monkey with one hand couldnt slap like les claypool or flea. maybe fieldy but never les or flea.

5. damn, fieldy gets it pretty bad around here. is he really that crappy? I've never really listened to a korn bassline..

6. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    i disagree totally!

you are getting out of point. you can do both (slap and play) not just one...

it´s like playing with a pick, some say it sucks but it´s just another valid way of playing bass with some tonal possibilities.

I play mostly with fingers.

slap can be useless to you (like playing with a pick for some) but there are people whose musical career is based on slap and make wonderful music and makes more money than you :p :D

7. <i>"It is better to remain silent, and thought a fool, than to open ones mouth and dispell all doubt"</i>

8. Starrchild

Starrchild

Nov 10, 2000
    The Bay.
    expand your horizon's my son,that is the only way you will truly grow as a bass player.FIELDY,dude he couldn't slap his way out of a WET paper bag.clik clik clik THONG.

9. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Slapping is definitely playing (listen to Flea), but I think this guy just doesn't like the sound of it, which is fine, but he didn't make his point very clear.

For some of us, like myself, slapping just doesn't sound good. I like to say that slappin and poppin just aint my bag baby... yeah!

But I'm totally into punk, so that's me. :p

10. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    was there any real need to bash Fieldy in this thread. cmon now people...its been said a million times on here about him now...give it a rest will ya please.

11. gonzo85

gonzo85

Mar 25, 2001
    Listen to Marcus Miller playing Teen Town--its orgasmic. Seriously man, you need to open your eyes (ears) to the expansive bass world and the many ideas and styles it contains. Sounds like you need some good music.

12. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Kake_eater, life is not black and white. Bass playing isn't either. There's a place for every technique.

13. I can't believe someone would say slapping is a waste... I mean, slapping is quite possibly the most versatile type of playing...besides tapping. There are so many combinations of playing...the possiblities are endless... you can slap just low notes, do slap and popping combinations, slap chords on the low end with either 2 or 3 strings....pop chords on high end with 2 or 3 strings....like i said, the combinations are endless!

14. istaticl

istaticl

Nov 29, 2000
    Prescott, AZ
    I wish that I could slap. It doesn't seem like a waste to me. I've heard people say it isn't musical, but it sounds pretty damn good to me when done right.

15. NightVampZ

NightVampZ

Jun 22, 2001
    Canada
    I prefer to just play since I have a bit of trouble slapping the smaller cords... But, for some songs, and the beginning of a few of my own songs, I use a very light slap...

NightVampZ.

16. Starrchild

Starrchild

Nov 10, 2000
    The Bay.
    cassanova, thank's bro you right,that bashing was unnecessary,my bad.to each his own right.
    good looking out.

17. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    I use slap mainly to add to a song in small parts! Its kinda like me using my wah pedal! Alot of people use it way to much! But just a little here to get the ball rolling is great!

18. how can anyone give up the opportunity to bash fieldy, but i agree that it has no place in this thread and also agree with what has been said about slapping in that it is a choice like the use of a pick. but i have question why is it that whenever people talk about slap bass one of the first people they almost always bring up is flea?

19. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Because most youngsters get virtually all their musical information from MTV and have seen Flea whacking his bass in countless videos and live performances on MTV.

The more subtle and tasteful slappers generally aren't on MTV and anyway wouldn't be noticed as they wouldn't be leaping about and making wildly exaggerated motions for the cameras! ;)

20. rob_d

rob_d

Jun 14, 2001
    I think slapping is fine. It's just another tool to put in your toolbox for when you need a certain sound in a song. The danger in it lies in these players who don't do anything else. I've seen bass players that can slap away at the neck and put Flea to shame. Then you ask them to play a walking bass over a 12 bar blues and they look at you like you're from Mars. Used in moderation, in the right context I think slapping is just another tool...one you may only take out of your box a couple times a year..but if you need it it's there.