Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Slapping

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by modernday, Jan 4, 2003.

1. modernday

modernday

Oct 20, 2002
    St. Paul
    I was wondering what techniques you guys use for slapping the A string? I see Flea do it all the time, but it doesnt look like he mutes the other strings around it (Which is what I have been doing) Does he just have good aim with his thumb or what?

2. Im the only person i know that oes it, but I only slap the E. I pop all the other strings (on a 4 string bass). It doesnt slow me down. Does anyone else do this?

3. modernday

modernday

Oct 20, 2002
    St. Paul
    I could swear I've seen flea and bootsy slap the A string before. Maybe I'm mistaken.....

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I slap all of the strings. I also mute the strings on either side of the one that I am slapping. You can slap without muting, but no matter how good your aim, you will get noise from the other strings occasionally. I do most of my muting with the left hand.

5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Its all about precision. practice by simply slapping one-at-a-time
    open E
    open A
    open D
    open G

start simple and work your way to something more complex. I slap on all 4 strings and I pop on all 4 strings)depending. But I think I do more slaps than pops and a lot of that is because I've spent a lot of time practicing my precision slapping to make only the string I want sound, without having to deaden or mute the other strings.

6. i agree w/ wrong robot. I also slap all four. I began w/ the exercise he mentioned. Then work up to doing each slap fast on each string. Then 2 slow slaps on each string. Then 2 fast. Then 4 slow. Then 4 fast.

I also don't mute the strings

7. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    yes.. I think I do more of the slapping than of the popping.. probably 60%-40% or something like that.. I slap all of the strings.. all 5 of them.. just start slow and build up...

8. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    I slap all four (or five for that matter) and I'll pop any of 'em. On my 6 string I can't recall ever needing to slap the C string but I do pop it.

Do not underestimate muting. You can get some great sounding percussive "dead notes" by left hand muting. Adds to the groove BIG TIME. Alexis Sklarevski demonstrates this well on "The Slap Bass Program". Randy Jackson does it well on his video, too.

Peace,

James