Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

slapping

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by empty_zed, Mar 1, 2003.

1. empty_zed

empty_zed Guest

Feb 28, 2003
    hamburg, germany
    hi there bassers!

I've been playing the bass for about 1y 3m and I'm trying to practise slap&pop alot.
    Now when playing I use my middle or ringfinger for popping the strings and f.e. if I'm trying to pop the d string I kind of stuck at the g string with the nailside of the finger and rub back the skin from there which is obviously hurting a little :eek:

so ... do I have to get just practise practise practise to avoid this? Are there any people out there having the same problems
    I think it's a practise thing cuz if I'm playing slower it doesn't happen cuz I can coordinate my fingers better!
    Does this depend on the bass I'm using (I mean do other basses maybe have more space between the strings?

thx 4 your answering :D

empty_zed

2. Grygore

Grygore

Oct 25, 2002
    Grand Prairie, TX
    Hmmm..well, I just use my index finger to pop the strings, so I can't really help you out there...

Different basses will have different string spacing yes. For example, I found it easier to slap/pop on my BC Rich :eek: than my Fender, because the strings are spaced a bit wider on the Rich....

Have fun!

3. it just takes practice, that used to happen to me. Just play slower and work your way up.

4. empty_zed

empty_zed Guest

Feb 28, 2003
    hamburg, germany
    alright I'll keep up to it :bassist:

I do have a lot of firstaid stripes left here :D

5. steve_man

steve_man

May 15, 2002
    I know exactly what u're talking about. I used to make my fingers bleed.

I don't do it as much. It takes practice and accuracy. I forget what I did to get over it but I think it had to do something with pulling my hand towards my face and less movement. but you will be able to move as your accuracy improves.

even if this doesn't work don't give up!;)