Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Slapping

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by ablinow, Nov 12, 2000.

1. ablinow

ablinow

Apr 15, 2000
    Norton, MA
    I am fine slapping things that I hear but whenever I'm just messing around it alwways ends up stupid sounding. Does any one know any good scales or transitions that sound good with slap?

2. pick up a book on slapping, theres tons of them for all diferent slap styles
    i am partial to "slap it funk studies for the electric bass"
    by tony opennheim it was written in 81 so its more old school funk slapping, its more funky than some of the mega chop based books i have seen

3. ablinow

ablinow

Apr 15, 2000
    Norton, MA
    Thanks. Do you know any good video's for slapping?

4. louis johnson, look for that one

5. Tizzy Whizzy

Tizzy Whizzy

Nov 14, 2000
    I dont like books, so heres what I did: go through all the lines you know... and slap them. even if it sounds bad. it will get your right hand more accostomed to slapping in different patterns and such.

6. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    Slapping and improvising have always been a challenge for me as well. I've been playing for 15 years now and am fairly accomplished (I guess.)However,I always seem to do best with slapping if I have worked a part out rather than just trying to blast out a phrase or something. Others might argue with me but,IMO, slapping doesn't really lend itself much to improvising but more toward structure. The movements are all very controlled and if not properly timed can turn into a sonic disaster rather than a cool riff or piece. I'd be interested in hearing from a few other seasoned players so I can find out if this is a universal truth or just my own pathetic lack of musical ability....

7. You might want to check out these videos by Alexis Sklarevsky, Beaver Felton,and Afro-Cuban Grooves-Funkifying the Clave.If your going to slap,might as well groove too.
    (I'm not saying you don't groove...you know what I mean).