Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

slapping

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by lithium, May 9, 2003.

1. lithium

lithium Guest

May 8, 2003
    ive been playing bass for about two years and am now just learning how to use the slap technique. does anyone have any tips for this stupid bassist?:confused:

2. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Welcome to TB, lithium.

As far as slapping goes, make sure you take it slow. Starting off too fast will not help to improve your technique. Also, try browsing some of these TB search results. Lots of info to be found there.

Lately I have been working with Tony Oppenheim's book, "Slap It." I highly reccomend it.

3. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    I have this book now and recommend it as well.

4. this may sound stupid but I just feel it, I would suggest you listen to a lot of Marcus Miller and Will Lee

5. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    the book is a great idea.. get it

and Don't try and beat the hell out of your bass either.. all you'll end up with is blistered painfull fingers.. the main thing to remember for slap bass is to use a light touch for the most part..

6. sambass

sambass

Apr 15, 2003
    MA
    Slap it gets my stamp of approval :bassist: thats actually where i learned how to slap. and it comes with a cd (but i lost mine :(

7. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK

Whoa there! Maybe leave the slap fests till you've go to grips with the basics?!

I bought Alexis Slarveskis Slap Bass Program recently.
    Now thing is I've been playing 13 years and can slap fairly convincingly already, I can use machine gun triplets here and there, double plucks, strummed chords, plucked chords, right hand taps etc and I can play with a good consistancy. So I bought the video to really help me focus on my slaping for a bit - I felt my technique just needed work.

This video is VERY good! It starts right at the beginning, from the absolutle basics. Right up to the last few excercises which really are pretty advanced - not impossible, just really good - and all useful.
    It may seem expensive, but it is worth it.

:)

8. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    What's slap bass?

9. ConU

ConU

Mar 5, 2003
    La Belle Province
    Dislocating your base.;)

10. Actually I was talkikng about Marcus' work on Aretha Franklin and Lenny White albums and Will's work on the Brecker Brothers stuff, their solo work is too extreme for anybody.

11. hey guys quick question here, i tought myself to slap about 6 months ago, with the help of this site i am starting to get the hang of it a little bit, but ive realized....do you rotate your wrist to hit the thumb on the string, or do you just move your whole forearm to hit it? it seems to me that you should rotate it to get that quick punchy sound, but the other one to be able to do it faster then once every one and a half seconds:confused: :meh: ...........help?

12. I'm part drummer so I just rotate my wrist. I only use the whole forearm when I want power.

13. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Your forearm has nothing to do with this style, If you are moving it or using it you are wasting energy.
    Try holding you hand out in front of you, now shake you hand making your thumb move as if is were a limp noodle. Now rest your forearm on the body of the bass (it should not move off the body!) relax your hand while moving you wrist slightly and hit the string softly in a controlled motion with the boney part of the thumb joint letting the thumb bounce off the string. Try doing this at the bottom of the neck. That slapping as some people call it comes out of people thumpin real hard and is just alot of flash. Learn to do it softly so you will have control of the style, then if you want to flash you can. Otherwise you will need compressors and alway's sound sloppy. Control is important! Don't beat the bass, the bass is your friend!

14. But I like to beat my bass:D

15. Personally I find that my slapping is different than most peoples but I don't use my whole forearm or my whole wrist, I have a way of slaping that I find makes it a bit more fluent.

I usually go on the beat with wrist movements ( sometimes on the & aswell if the feeling of the song is achieved this way) but most of my movement is right in my thumb. And when things get a little fast, maybe some tripple thumps or something like that, I notice that my elbow moves a small bit creating a wave going from my elbow to my wrist and propelling my thumb.

I've noticed when watching videos of most bass players that they do this as well, probably helps your sound making it a bit less mechanical, then staying stiff controlling your movements. Although for beginners I would recommend control until you get the hang of slapping...

Anyone else understand what I meant, or do it themselves ???

16. HooBass

HooBass

May 27, 2003
    NC
    RE Tony Oppenheim's Slap It book. Does it contain tab, or is it solely musical notation?

Have long ago forgotten the tiny bit of music theory I once knew, and while I see great reviews of the book, am afraid I might not get use out of it.

17. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    No tabs

18. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    great book, I bought a copy with the little floppy record in it in the late 80's. I've been thinking of picking it up again, I loaned mine to a student in the mid 90's and haven't seen it since.

19. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I use either the wrist or even move only the thumb, or a combination of both. Moving your whole arm can slow you down IMO, since you have to accelerate more mass and you don't need any strength to slap anyway. It's also more precise since there are less "moving parts" involved, fewer variables - more precision.