Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

slapping

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by msangster, May 29, 2003.

1. I was wondering,I guess most of you have noticed,at least in popular music that most bassists don't slap anymore. Does anyone know why?

2. Jay

Jay

Oct 19, 2000
    Bidwell, OH
    Miscellaneous maybe? :confused:

3. ConU

ConU

Mar 5, 2003
    La Belle Province
    Did they ever?:confused:

4. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    To quote almost every modern bass player from Bass Player mag: "I try and write parts for the song, and serve the song. I'd rather not have flashy parts, so people can concentrate on the vocals."

What they mean to say is: "I just play root notes all the time, because I never practised my scales or any other techniques besides bashing the hell out of my bass with a pick (or my fingers, because bass is an organic instrument). I try and get back to the groove, like McCartney or Jamerson or some other name I have read a lot on the cover of magazines."

Truth is, these people don't groove. I think that some parts of some of their songs are very repetative, and maybe they could mix it up a little by changing note placement, feel, or even slapping.

I don't know why modern rock bassists don't vary things a little bit. I do, and I am in a modern rock band. Then again, I am eccentric.

5. Zon Bass

Zon Bass

Jan 20, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    Fieldy slaps :bag: :D

6. ConU

ConU

Mar 5, 2003
    La Belle Province
    I'd go out on a limb here and say that it's not just the bassist's...maybe the (cough,cough) music itself... changing "note placement,feel",or using the ultimate cop-out when you can't groove,"slapping" ain't gonna help.
    Quoting anything from Bassplayer is your first clue....:D

7. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Because the music industry is about imitation, not innovation. I'm not saying slap isn't innovative, I'm just saying it isn't the current Big Thing. I'm sure it'll be back eventually.

8. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001

Ahhhh... to be 15 again! So all the pro's in the music biz somehow made it big without ever practicing scales or learning theory or technique? Why didn't any of them ever think to learn about scales and technique the way you did! Oh, well you'll show 'em. Those jokers that make it in to BP mag will never groove the way you do :rolleyes:

msangster - a lot of popular bassists do slap. (Les Claypool, Flea, Vic Wooten...)

9. Because slapping wouldn't fit with most of the styles of popular music today?

10. ConU

ConU

Mar 5, 2003
    La Belle Province
    I ask again...did it ever?

11. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Hey, if you want to slam on me, that's fine. I never said a thing about 'showing anyone' anything, though. I play what I play because I think it sounds good for my music. I am simply voicing an opinion that most of the music on today's radio (dang Clear Channel) and MTV is very repetative and sounds a lot alike. If you like this, that's absolutely fine. I don't.

I didn't mean any harm by any of these posts. :)

12. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Yes :)

13. ConU

ConU

Mar 5, 2003
    La Belle Province
    He asked about popular music,not bassist's...RHCP got huge when Flea stopped slapping...nobody other than bassist's know who the other 2 are...

14. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Mark King, Flea, Norwood Fisher, Tony Levin ...
    They barely slap anymore.
    Back in the 80s, slap was everywhere in pop music.
    Since 80s are doing a come back these days, out of any new marketing idea, slap will soon be back too.

15. ConU

ConU

Mar 5, 2003
    La Belle Province
    When,when did most of the styles of popular music feature or require slap bass?

16. ConU

ConU

Mar 5, 2003
    La Belle Province
    Join an 80's cover band,and out of a night of 40 "hit" tunes,I'll bet you 20 bucks your thumb does'nt hit the fret board in more than 2 or 3 tunes.

17. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Look at the song in my signature... Live, Tony Levin slapped it.

I'm not saying it's a requirment. I'm saying it's a tool to make a song sound different.

18. ConU

ConU

Mar 5, 2003
    La Belle Province
    Not on the recorded version he did'nt...I'm not saying it's not a tool just that it's musical and functional value is grossly overrated and misused.Tony Levin has recorded on hundreds and hundreds of popular albums.I would wager that the number of albums he slapped on could be counted on 1 or 2 hands.To place this much emphasis on a technique that is'nt a part of the workplace:"popular music",is just silly.

19. Did they ever???

"Thank you falettn me be mice elf again" Sly and the Family Stone

"Some like it Hot" Power Station

"Something About You" Level 42

Just to mention a few. I'm sure we could think of 10x more than this.

Yes, they did.

20. ConU

ConU

Mar 5, 2003
    La Belle Province
    3x10=30...from the last 35 years of recorded popular music I would'nt classify that as "most styles"...;)