slappinng : high mids and lows

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by whitehouse, May 24, 2002.

1. I am looking for a nice slap - tone, but someow I cannot seem to find the slap tone I want ..
    the style I play is black gospel ...
    the bass I play is Warwick F.N.A. Jazzman ..

what is a "standard" setting if you look at high mids and lows .. ??
  2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I guess the most popular setting is:

Both pickups on full, slightly boosted bass and treble, scooped (high) mids
  3. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    first off, pulling out some mids would help. even the high mids. the trick for me is adding lots of top end sizzle, and boosting the low mids, and a just bit o'bass. you want a clear, articulate, not too muddy sound. like JMX said, both pickups on full.

think little body, but big feet & hands, if that makes any sense. :D
  4. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer, Builder
    Sounds to me like the basses isn't producing what you really want to hear. You might go to your local music store (don't pay attention to the headstock's) and play all the basses. Then go to another.

Key is when your trying these basses out, run as little equipment as possable. If you can only run a power amp into a cabinet and bypass all preamp's. If not possable becuase the store is knowledgable in this (I saw this becuase some seem to not understand) or carries only lowend head, etc. Run everything flat on the preamp.

This is the best way to actually hear the bass. The less eq you have to do the cloder you are to happiness!!!!!!

Good Luck
  5. bassmanjones

Feb 23, 2002
    Boston, MA
    Hmmm, Black Gospel. I played it every other Sunday for three years straight and listened to a few songs here and there to get the right sound. What I've found is that they'll usually have a smiley face for the slap setting (which is what I always use anyway). Your FNA should get the sound no problem unless it's a dud as I've played a few of them and had no problem getting it.

Important things is to make sure you cut your high mids as opposed to your low mids, boost your lows and your highs. Be sure that you have new or new sounding roundwound strings on it (you ain't gonna get the sound with flats, sorry). For your bass, put both pickups full on and if you have the active version boost the bass only. The treble is hot on those FNA actives and you'll get less hiss and annoying bite if you boost the highs on the amp instead.

Another important link in the chain is your amp. If you're trying to pull this off with an old SVT refrigerator you'll get something close but probably not the convincing modern sounding slap that those guys get through their Edens and SWR and GK rigs.

Good luck.