Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Slappy the B

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by DavePlaysBass, Feb 4, 2006.

1. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    I meant "Slapping the B". Oh well :).

What recipes for B string slapping do we have here (bass, string, gauge, taper)?

I have a Sadowsky RV5 (34" scale, alder, rosewood). I am doing a lot more slap than I used too and I am finding that the B is just not very slap happy. I have a Ken Smith SS, 128, no taper.

Dave

2. Phalanx

Phalanx

Apr 4, 2005
    I found raising the action made slapping the B a lot better

3. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Most B's don't slap well, but the sadowsky stainless will be your best bet on that bass. The best recipe I know of for a slappable B is to get a Stingray 5 ... don't know why it works better, but it does.

4. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    May be the sweet spot humbucker. I have a G&L Climax which is a sweet spot 4 stringer. The ash body slaps like a mother. I will favor the bridge pup and see what that does.

Dave

5. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    I have it pretty high already. I may raise it more. Thanks,

Dave

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Id go with.. DR Lo riders, stainless. They have a nice tone for slapping bc of the hexagonal core and higher tension.

7. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I tried Lo Riders on my RV5 and found the sadowsky stainless to be much better on there, and have an even crisper, tighter feel.

8. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I much prefer tapered B strings: better response and intonation. Sadowsky strings are excellent (steel or nickel rounds). I also like LaBella Hard Rockin' Steels, and Ken Smith Tapercores.