Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Slaps: Hit the fret?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Davidoc, Dec 30, 2000.

1. When slapping (not popping) is the string supposed to hit the frets?

2. Atrax

Atrax

Dec 27, 2000
    Nope. you could be running a seriously slack string there.

If you mean that 'click' noise which intrudes onto the sound, you could be running your pickups too high. Most basses come from the factory set-up for fingerstyle or pick players, so the pickups are a little too close to the strings for slap, so you end up with a really clicky tone. just drop the pickups a little, just a few mm. test it as you go to get just the right response.

My basses have all had to be tweaked to accomodate my playing style, including my Stingray, which even clicked when I played fingerstyle (I'm fairly heavy handed)

j

3. oo0o00o0oo

oo0o00o0oo

Apr 30, 2000
    Chicago
    The strings aren't supposed to hit the frets when slapping? I always thought they were, how can you get that twangy 'slap' sound if they don't?

4. Atrax

Atrax

Dec 27, 2000
    Actually, yes. I just checked, my strings do hit the frets when playing hard, but it doesn't sound clicky... the twangy sound seems to come more from the attack of the note.... weird

5. The slap sound IS the strings hitting the top most fret(s).

6. I second the notion that the string hits the fret. It's part of the slap sound. If you catch my drift.