Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

slash chord question

Discussion in 'Music Theory [DB]' started by oliebrice, Mar 17, 2005.

1. oliebrice

oliebrice

Apr 7, 2003
    London, UK
    I'll try this question in this thread, as it got no responses in the "interesting article" thread:
    "A subtle, deep and sophisticated understanding of harmony and HOW the bass fits in (IE, knowing that one needs to focus on the F in an E/F chord or the chord doesn’t have the quality of being an E/F, and knowing that the B, C and G# are the next most important notes for the bass to emphasize)"

is the C in there as the 5th of the slash note (is that what you'd call the F in E/F?), or as a flattened 6th of E, or what? and why?

2. nypiano

nypiano

Feb 10, 2003
    NYC
    Who is being quoted? Are we talking slashchord or polychord (ie 2 triads superimposed). If it's the latter I would suppose the case being made by the writer is that 5ths are first then the 3rds (?). The overall point seems to suggest that nailing the tension in F over E is essential to avoid falling back into the consonant E triad.

Some of this needs more context I think. If it's just the typical E triad over Fbass note then I'm not sure what the importance of C has to do with. The only scale that would support both C and B would be the E gypsy scale (which is constructed from 2 major seventh chords Emaj7/Fmaj7)

3. Perplexer

Perplexer

Sep 2, 2003
  4. nypiano

nypiano

Feb 10, 2003
    NYC
    That's funny. Mike would probably get a kick over our perplexing over this one. I'm sure he meant E/F the slash chord for diminished#7 not the polychord. I think the C is a mistake or simply an all purpose 5th that a bassist can play regardless of it not fitting in scale.

The gist of it is he likes bassists to understand the bass role but also be sensitive to harmony.
    Great ideas
    And oh yeah have perfect time..

No problem right?

5. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I don't play in an intellectual fashion, but in teaching and practicing original charts I deal with a lot of slash chords. A couple of years ago I made a chart which shows possible chord/scale relationships for each chromatic slash chord (not polychord). I'll try to attach it here just in case anyone might find it useful.

Attached Files:

6. TomSauter

TomSauter

Dec 22, 2004
    Kennesaw, GA
    E/F is also the same as A harmonic minor. Is that the same as the "E gypsy" scale?

7. nypiano

nypiano

Feb 10, 2003
    NYC
    My understanding of the gypsy scale is this:
    E F G# A B C D# E.

E hW diminished also accounts for E/F

8. bass_means_LOW

bass_means_LOW

Apr 12, 2004
    Las Vegas
    I thought it was the raga of ascention, or morning raga.
    Yeah, EMaj7 and FMaj7 combined. Long time ago I worked out about 55 harmonic combinations for that scale-there are probably more.