Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Slash chords on Bass !!

Discussion in 'Ask Michael Dimin' started by Funkin'_Bassist, Sep 7, 2003.

1. hi Mike ...
    I know you play chords on bass .. so I thought you might help me with troubles am having when I tried to do so ..
    I read about slash chords .. and I decided to make 3 positions for every chord .. each note played bass in each different position .. so I made for LOTS of chords that charts and I hanged them on the walls .. but what I found real frustrating is that there is no big difference with different bass notes .. actually the bass note which is supposed to be dominant is hardly observed ...
    I just wanna know do you make different finger positions for the slash chords ??
    don't you think that guitar or keyboard are better adapted to play chords ??
    am not sure if it's not just my bass .. it's **** and the amp is crap too .. may be that's what makes the sound appear like that ..
    thanks for yer time
    peace,

2. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    FB,

When choosing notes for the chords on bass, I have to really look at which notes contribute to either the function of the chord, the sound of the melody or the movement of the bass line. I usually omit the ones that don't contribute. I also sometimes have to compromise on the ones that do. The human ear (and brain) is a wonderful thing and will fill in the omitted notes if you do a good job on the others. I hope this helps

Mike

3. Hey Mike,

This is a bit out of topic, but does your fretting hand hurt after a gig of solo chordal playing, especially on higher registers of the bass?

and

Do you reharmonise chord progressions because certain chord types/voicings within the progression aren't possible on the bass, or do you just do it for musical reasons, or both?

Jerome

4. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    No, not at all., But a lot has to do with how my bass is set up. It has extrememly low action ( less than 1/16th of an inch at the 24th fret)and 8/1000" relief. I also use TI Jazz Rounds which have very low tension and are a breeze to play.

Yes! I do both. However, I would say that 95% of the rehamonization that I do is to add interest and variation to the music. There have bee a few occasions where playing something was too difficult within the context of the piece and I either reharmonized it or altered the voicing

Mike

5. So with extended chords (9th, 11th, 13th, alt dom, etc), how would you imply the characteristic of a chord type without making it sound too muddy on a 4 string with the dissonaces? I'm assuming that it's all got to do with "the context" of the actual progression right? And with 13th chords, won't it sound like a 6th chord rather than a 13th after all the voice 'deductions' made on a 4 string? Do you eliminate the root note often in chords for solo bass purposes?

It just blows me away to how you can imply slash and extended chords on a 4 string. Your name shouldn't be Michael 'Dimin' but rather Michael 'Aug'. :D

6. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    It has to do with the context, you are right. It has to do with getting the 3rd, 7th and melody note, it has to do with getting some nice voice leading and sometimes (actually most times) it has to do with compromise. Additionally, you might have to look at different or unorthodox techniques to create the desired musical results.

The 13th can sound like a 6 chord but not if you have the function of the harmony in tact. The 6 chord is a substitute for a 1 chord when the root is in the melody while the 13 chord is clearly an extension of the dom 7 chord. You can imply a great deal by the way you create voice leading in the chords that preceed and follow the 13 chord. Listening for the function is key

Mike

7. what's a 13th chord ?? :meh:

8. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    It is an extension of the dominant 7th chord.

Root, 3rd, 5th, flat 7th, 9th, 11th and 13th. For example a G13 would be G,B,D,F,A,C,E

Mike

9. is this a 7 notes chord ???? :eek:
    God :bawl:

10. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    C'mon, you've got ten fingers.

11. :) You can just put in G B F and E instead of all 7. The rest is just for colouring. Mike is the master of this subject. I'm probably sure that in some situations you could even get away with just the B and the E and still call it G13/B as long as either of those two notes are in the melody and on the strong beats.

You can even play the cycle of 5ths with just double stops =>

(voices are from low to high)

(A and D#) (G# and E) (G and C#) (F# and D)
    |B7 |E |A7 |D

(F and B) (E and C)
    |G7 |C ||

------------------------------

Mike, do you listen to Martin Taylor's solo guitar stuff?

12. Sorry, the spacing didn't turn out too well with the chords after posting it.

The first bracket corresponds to the first bar, etc....

13. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    To get it all to line up you need to use a monospaced font like [ FONT=courier]courier[ /] and replace any multiple spaces with the HTML 'entity'   (otherwise they fold up into a single space and throw your spacing out).

I've requested a 'tab' button (cos that would save time posting tab snippets) to do this automatically and Paul is considering it for the planned upgrade.

Wulf

14. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    If you use [ CODE ] [ /CODE ] (without the spaces) you get a fixed pitch font.

For example:

Code:
    TAB!

15. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Interesting you should say that a 13 chord would contain the 11th...

16. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Moley,

Although I would not voice all the notes of a 13th chord, technically speaking the 13th does include all the tensions. Although more used in piano voicings the way that I might use it is to create upper structure tensions. For example, playing an A minor triad, in the right hand while playing a G7 chord in the left. Although hard to do on the electric bass, it is possible to do things similar with a looping device.

Mike

17. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    You also get those ugly markers saying 'code' :rolleyes:

Anyway, that's not got much to do with slash chords, so back to the topic :D

Wulf

18. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Fair enough. I would tend to think of it as a sus chord if it contained the 11th (even if it contained the 3rd too).

19. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    The sus chord will often "resolve" to the 7th chord. The sus comes from the suspended. The 4th often resolves down the half step to the 3rd. So Sus chords would not usuaslly contain the 3rd. That beings said, it is mostly from a classical perspective that I say that. In jazz there are very many cases where the sus chord does not resolve

Mike

ps it is not really a resolution, but my brain is a bit fried today and I cannot come up with a better word for it

20. "ps it is not really a resolution, but my brain is a bit fried today and I cannot come up with a better word for it"

suspension:)