Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Slashy notiation

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Davidoc, Mar 16, 2001.

1. Can anyone tell me how to read the music with the slashys and the notes/numbers above?

2. Assuming I'm understanding you correctly, those are chord sheets.
    The notes/numbers at the top are the chords (or chords showing general intonation, depending on what you find it in) to be played on guitar, and the slashy note things are the strumming pattern.

Of course, if I'm wrong then someone here will surely correct me... :)

3. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Yeah, I think Sheep Man is right. The little "slashes" should resemble musical notes (in that they dictate note length), but they aren't on any specific note. Then, the chord is printed above. Basically it's saying "play over this chord, use your own discretion as to WHAT notes you play."

4. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    just a quick point.. those little "slashy thingies" are called virgils. And if they're just written 4 virgils to a bar, it means play time (whatever time is in the style of the chart)

5. Would I just play notes in the given chord?

6. SlapDaddy

SlapDaddy

Mar 28, 2000
    Another 'slashy' in reading charts is the bass note in a chord such as: c maj 7/ E or D #-9/G indicating a selected bass note that is not the root or tonic...but then again...

7. Let's put it this way...

I must play a sheet of music that has sheet music; not a problem...

and slashes with notes next to the numbers 7 or 9 on top.

I don't even know where to start with the slashy section!

What do I do?

I may seem ignorant, but... well... I am!

8. could anyone post a picture of a note sheet, chord sheet, or whatever it´s called?

because no matter how much it´s explained I just don´t get it!!

but I can probably understand it if I see a pic...

can anyone post, or tell me where to find, a pic of a chord sheet?

9. F9
    |/ / / /|/ / / /|

; a crude example of a chord sheet@

10. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Now that I've seen what the sheet looks like, I'm with pacman.

The 4 slashes to the bar indicate that you get to play whatever you want for 4 beats. Sometimes there will be one chord over 2 slashys, and another chord over 2 more slashys. That means 2 beats of the first chord, 2 beats of the second chord, etc.

11. Ummm...
    I'm not EXACTLY sure this is what y'all are talkin' about, but I THINK it is... :p

12. No, that's not it, I know this is hard to explain...

13. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000

so, if I understand correctly, you play F9 for 2 bars, 4 beats per bar? right?

did that make sense? ;)

14. F9's just an example, it has different number types eg: C7.

There quite a few bars, but yes, 4 beats per bar.

15. Hmmm...oh well. That's the only 'experience' I have with those slashy things.
    Now I'm getting curious...do you have a picture of one you could show us? Assuming you asked it originally, you probably have a copy, right? Or do you not have a scanner?
    Draw one out in PSP or something? :p

16. Well, I'd never thought of that...

17. ok... now I understand...

and btw... it wasn´t phreaky that posted earlier.... that was my post... :)

18. :D:D
    Oooooh...so THAT'S what you mean...
    I don't think I've ever seen one of those before... :p

19. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    I can't help you Davy, I'm just learning to read, but I'll bet Jason O can explain it in a way you'll be able to understand. She contributes a lot on the technique forum. Maybe if you tried your query there?

Pkr2

20. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    The chart you posted is from a big band arrangement of "C Jam Blues". In this case, the slash notation is telling you to play a walking bass line which outlines the chord progression shown above. Pacman was right - the slashes simply mean to "play time" in whatever given style the song is in. This type of notation is most common in Jazz and Big Band charts although I use it for pop charts as well. Often you will also see specific rhythmic figures written with slashes instead of noteheads, with all of the slashes remaining on the middle line of the staff...when you see this, it simply means to catch the notated rhythm with your bass line or chord voicing, as these usually denote tutti rhythmic hits. The point of using slashes is to leave room for personal interpretation and improvisation.