1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

slave amp question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tony-bobs, Sep 25, 2008.

1. Tony-bobs

Tony-bobs

Aug 19, 2008
    Spearfish, SD
    This has probably been answered in a million threads, but for some reason it still isn't clicking in my head. i'm probably just thinking about it too hard. my question is: can i run a small tube amp (epiphone valve jr) into a larger ss amp (peavey megabass) to get a good-decent tubey grind? i'm not really sure that this is something i would do at a gig, but i think it could be fun as long as i don't blow something up. the vjr has 4, 8, and 16 ohm outs, if that helps at all.

2. I may be wrong, but you'd need to place some kind of load on the tube head so you don't blow it up. Something like a THD hotplate (power attenuator) should work.

3. Tony-bobs

Tony-bobs

Aug 19, 2008
    Spearfish, SD
    so put the hotplate between the vjr and the SS megabass?

4. Yeap.

I've got an ancient Ampeg B-25 (55 watts at 16 ohms) and wanted to hook it into a power amp. Did my research and asked here, and it was suggested to run the tube head into the power attenuator, and take the line out from that into the power amp.

Anyone want to double check me on this?

5. Tony-bobs

Tony-bobs

Aug 19, 2008
    Spearfish, SD
    what about running the vjr into a small cab, and that jumped into the ss, into the larger main cab?

6. Hi.

I'd use a small speaker or a dummy load with a DI-box that can handle a few volts.

A resistive dummy load for 5W amplifier is rather cheap and making a reactive dummy load that small isn't hard or expensive either.

Regards
    Sam

7. Please do not run the speaker out of one amp into the input of another, you will regret it. You need to use a preamp out or something along those lines, and you need some sort of speaker load for the speaker out jacks.

8. Tony-bobs

Tony-bobs

Aug 19, 2008
    Spearfish, SD
    the vjr only has speaker outs, so could i run the vjr into a 112 cab, and then that into the input of my megabass that's connected to a 410? would i blow anything up or would i get (possibly) amazing tubey tone?

9. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Considering how often we have this discussion in this forum, and how many heavy duty players have struggled to find the right gear to make this work, it's definitely not all that cheap or easy or obvious how to do it right.

As far as running the speaker out into the input of another amp, it can be done IF you pad down the signal sufficiently. There are a number of DI boxes which are specifically designed for this purpose.

10. Hi.

Well, the 5-10W resistor alone is ~.5€.

The formulaes and schematics for the reactive loads are in my other computer, so I can't check them just now, but IIRC the amount of components is less than a dozen. So an educated quess would be ~10€ total for the parts. Another 10€ for the aluminium box.

IMO one still needs to match the O/I impedance for good results.

Regards
    Sam

11. paradigm_shift

paradigm_shift

Mar 29, 2007
    I dont know if this makes any difference but the valve jnr (from memory) is a 15watt guitar head...

12. tapp01

tapp01

Apr 10, 2008
    Wilmington, NC
    Actually, the Valve Jr. is only five watts. While enough to play a small bar with a six-string of the more trebley persuasion, I wonder how much sound this would produce with a bass. I never tried the Jr. on bass, but I have heard rumors that it works. Maybe I misunderstand, but if your trying to warm up your signal before going into the SS amp why not try one of these --

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/ART-Tube-MP-Studio-Mic-Preamp?sku=180581

13. Tony-bobs

Tony-bobs

Aug 19, 2008
    Spearfish, SD
    the vjr is only 5 watts class A, the reason i'm not gonna buy anything else is that its just an experiment, i'm not really trying to get something giggable right now, i would rather save up for an all tube amp and be done with it. i was just curious whether or not it was possible since i already own the vjr. so again, since noone has really for sure answered me, is it possible for me to plug my bass into the vjr, that into a 112 8 ohm cab that runs into the input of my ss amp the runs to my 410 cab. would i blow anything up or would i be ok?

14. Tony-bobs

Tony-bobs

Aug 19, 2008
    Spearfish, SD
    bumperoony