Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Slave to my Contra

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Joe Smithberger, May 12, 2002.

1. Joe Smithberger

Joe Smithberger Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2002
    Canton, Ohio, USA
    Looking for advice...I own two combo amps - an AI Contra and a Hartke Kickback 15. I would like to try some experiments using both pieces together. I see three options:

1) The Hartke has a 6 ohm 15 inch speaker that could be unhooked from the power amp and plugged into the Contra (I would have to buy a speakon to female 1/4 cable to make the connection) as an extension. XLR out from the Contra to the PA.

2) The Hartke could be slaved to the Contra using the XLR out of the Contra into the input of the Hartke. Then the xlr out of the Hartke could be sent into the PA.

3) The effects send could be sent to the Hartke and I could hook up as in option 1.

The two amps are now in seperate locations and I would like to try this without disrupting rehearsal too much. If the good folks here could give me some advice as to the best approach, I could have the apppropriate cabling handy when I went in.

BTW I am also electronically challenged and if any of these are not possible, please be kind and keep the flamethrowers on stun.

Thanks.:confused:

2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

Flamethrowers? Why, whatever do you mean? :)

3. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    Since the Hartke has its own power amp built-in, I'd take advantage of it using either the DI or effects send. In the case of the former, I assume you'll need a cable-mounted converter/transformer to take the low impedance XLR out to the Hartke high impedance 1/4" input; small adaptor transformers are available.

I'd probably try both to see which is most suitable.

4. Joe Smithberger

Mar 8, 2002
    Canton, Ohio, USA
    I'm looking for the low cost solution. One of the amps is stored at the location all the time.

The Hartke does color the sound a lot more. However, I'm not sure how much of that is the speaker and how much is the amp. One advantage of using the amp section of the Hartke is that I could dial it down and EQ it seperately from the main amp (Contra).

5. Joe Smithberger

Mar 8, 2002
    Canton, Ohio, USA
    Bob,

The contra has low and high gain inputs. Does it affect the output to have two instruments plugged in at once? Does the high impedance switch affect both inputs or just the high gain? I am playing electric and a Bass Max equipped double bass. The output of my jazz bass is a lot lower than the double bass. Optimally, I would plug the double bass into the high gain and the Bass Max into the low gain and hit the impedance switch when I use the Double bass. Would this work?

6. Joe Smithberger

Mar 8, 2002
    Canton, Ohio, USA
    Sorry...brain fart.

Optimally, I would plug the jazz bass into the high gain and Bass Max into the low gain.

7. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    The impedance switch affects the lower input only. Your next message is correct in directing the inputs, but with the Bass Max, you may be ok into the upper input as well- try it and see if the difference is significant enough for you.

8. Joe Smithberger

Mar 8, 2002
    Canton, Ohio, USA
    Thanks for all the help on this one. I gave up on the Contra and auditioned every preamp I could find. I settled on a Tech 21 Acoustic DI. It turned out that I was losing the essential floor coupling needed for the Contra to work optimally. The church I am playing in had a tile and concrete floor and 40 ft ceilings. I could hear it fine, but the band couldn't hear anything. The Contra was only acting as a preamp for the Hartke. All the sound out front was coming from it. As a preamp, the Tech 21 works better.

Now if I put a more conventional speaker on a Clarus...sell everything else...