1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Slaving 2 Combo Amps through the XLR Out!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Hevy T, Feb 10, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Hevy T

Hevy T Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Lethbridge, AB Canada
    Can I use the XLR Out on my 200watt Traynor SB112 and run it in to the input of a second SB 112 to get more volume? Or would I be better off with either the bigger SB 115? Or just get a more powerful rig?

Just trying to figure out the most economical way to get enough volume for bar gigs and corporate events. I just can't afford to spend $1000+ to do it the right way!!

2. BigBobbyBass

BigBobbyBass

Jan 23, 2015
    You could get a workable rig fir around 500 on Craig's list, IME.

3. agedhorse

agedhorse SUSPENDED Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Even a simple splitter y cable or y box from the bass to both inputs woe be a better choice, even with the possible impedance mismatch (with passive bass only)

4. Hevy T

Hevy T Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Lethbridge, AB Canada
    I am in a small city of 86,000 in Canada and only 1 real music store. We have Kijiji and I have been looking through it and there has not been a real bass rig on there in a couple months! Also keeping an eye on the Facebook music groups and same thing!!

Here is what my local store has

1. SVT and 6 10 fridge about $2500ish
    2. a couple of 210 Traynor Cabs $510 each
    3. Couple of underpowered heads like an old Rumble 150 $250 and a GK 200MB $375 (great small head btw, but now enough juice)
    4. SWR Goliath 410 $300 (I am watching this bad boy for a sale on the weekend)
    5. SWR 350X head with scratchy pots $400
    6. Traynor DNB 300 $300
    7. Traynor SB 110, 112 and a 115 $460, $500 and $555...aprox prices
    8. 4 10 traynor cab $895
    9. Line 6 Low Down 175 $300
    10. GK MB 210 $985
    11. various Fender Rumble amps, most powerful being 100 watts $who cares

Cost wise the only real alternative is the SWR 410 and the Traynor DNB 300. Which I should be able to get for about $480 at the sale. Or another SB 112 or 115

That's it in the entire city

This is why I am having a hard time with this!!

5. Hevy T

Hevy T Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Lethbridge, AB Canada
    You do mean through two combos, and not the two inputs on the one combo right?

6. mbelue

mbelue

Dec 11, 2010
  7. RBASS930

RBASS930 Gold Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2005
    New York
    zm9eeqjhfuklodzt8nuk.

Also make a great DI if you no longer use it for your combos in the future.

8. agedhorse

agedhorse SUSPENDED Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Correct.

An active splitter to the inputs would be even better but likely not necessary, especially with active pickups.

There is a possibility of hum from a ground loop, that's where a splitter with ground lift would really help if necessary

9. MakoMan

MakoMan

Oct 17, 2011
    Ottawa, Canada
    It's times like this that I would start looking online at L&M, Tom Lee, Axe Music etc. You'll probably get free shipping. Or a trip into Calgary might be in order. A Rumble 500 would solve all your volume problems. Can your local dealer order one?
    In the case of the Traynors, I'd trade in the SB112 on a 115 before buying a second 112. You will definitely get more volume with the 115. The only downside of the Traynor SB115 is it won't run an extension cab, which is why I traded in my SB115 on a Rumble 200.

10. Hevy T

Hevy T Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Lethbridge, AB Canada
    I think I have figured out what I am going to do.

I am going into Calgary on Saturday to take advantage of their Used Inventory Sale.

Either
    1. Ampeg BA 210 V2 and a PF 115HPcab

or
    2. Used Traynor SB500 head and a 115210 Traynor Cab

And I have decided I will trade in the SB112 and maybe my SCR DI

Things may change, but I am too indecisive to decide that yet ;)

angrydad and MakoMan like this.