1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

slaving an ampeg pf350 to an ampeg svt 350h?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mplsgetscold, Oct 6, 2013.

1. mplsgetscold

mplsgetscold

Jul 9, 2012
    i have an ampeg svt 350h SS head. i'm looking to get an ampeg pf-350 to either slave to it or use a morley aby switch to run both head simultaneously into my 810.

basically what i'm trying to do is get a bit more head room without spending scrupulous amounts of money.

which is the best way to do this? and how would i properly slave the pf to the svt?

suggestions?

2. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    No. You can't do it. You will destroy the amps.

You need separate cabinets, or at least separate speaker loads. You cannot "slave" these in that manner. You can take the output of either head's PRE-AMP (only!) as an input to the power section of either by using the effects loop.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Jim's right.

4. Unless your 810 allows top/bottom split operation. But then each amp would see a 8 ohm load. So your 350H drops to 200 watts and the PF-350 is 250 watts into a 8 ohm load. Total gain of 100 watts over the 350H at 4 ohms, not worth the trouble.

Move up to the PF-800.

lokikallas likes this.
  5. Merijn

Merijn

Aug 21, 2017

Just to be clear..If I where to have two PF350 amps..I would connect the Send in the back to the return of the other and I would have to load both amps with a cab right? If they are 4 ohm cabs I would even have 700 watts? Just wondering...:)

Attached Files:

6. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    You can use the effects send of a PF350 into the return of a second PF350 and use each amp into separate cabinets. Its a much better idea to just purchase a PF800 and have even more power and EQ flexibility.

As mentioned above, you can NOT use 2 different amps into the same cabinet.

Jim Carr likes this.
  7. Merijn

Merijn

Aug 21, 2017
    Thanks..I don't think I need 800 watts..plus I don't have the cabs that can handle that kind of power..:)

8. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    For handling 800 watts, try a fEARful, but don't try to put two pf-350's into only one cab—of any kind, lol.
    As noted above, you need a separate load for each amplifier.

9. Merijn

Merijn

Aug 21, 2017

Got it! thanks!

10. RollCats

RollCats

Nov 19, 2018
    Austin, TX
    Interesting that you say you need more head room but then say you dont need 800w.

After 350w, increases of 100w are barely perceptible in terms of loudness. It takes somewhere between 5 and 10 times the power to double the apparent volume, depending on the person (perception of loudness is subjective) and which literature you want to reference. So a little over double the power would probably be great if you are looking for more clean headroom.

Are you running at 4 ohms? That will make a big difference too.

11. RollCats

RollCats

Nov 19, 2018
    Austin, TX
    Saw you were running through an 810 so that's a yes to the 4 ohms. What's your gain structure like ?

On the PF and most SS ampegs you want to turn the input gain all the way up until it audibly distorts on hard hit notes, then back off just a tad. Ignore the clip light. This should help you get the most volume out of it

12. Merijn

Merijn

Aug 21, 2017
    Hi there,

Never said anything about wanting more head room. I am just interested in slaving amps and I just want to be clear on certain things before I start experimenting. Thank you for the extra information though. Always appreciated.

I have plenty of power at our rehearsal space and at gigss thatere is a PA present most of the time. I just want to be able to let myself be heard on accasions where I/we would not have a PA to our availablity (at an occassion like that I would like to have more head room I suppose :)) . I have two older amps that could be slaved off of eachotehr with each a seprate load but I was not clear on whether this was possible with the pf 350..My cabs can handle up to 400watss @ 4 Ohms, so bigger amps like the pf 500 of pf 800 are not the way to go I suppose :)

I think I can handle it from here..Thanks everybody!

13. RollCats

RollCats

Nov 19, 2018
    Austin, TX
    Lol whoops. I thought you were the OP. Didn't realize you necroposted for additional clarity. Good luck!