1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

"Slaving" two combo amps together...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rugmaster, Feb 25, 2016.

1. Rugmaster

Rugmaster

Dec 6, 2012
    I want to get the sound of my Crate BT25 going into my first gen Fender Rumble 100, and use them both at the same time. The Crate has a 1/4" jack for an external speaker and another for a foot switch, can it safely be ran into the Fender? I'd prefer doing it this way because I like the sound of the Crate better and I want it to be louder without buying an extra cab.

Here is this front panel of the Rumble, the back is basically bare except for the power cord and a switch for the red lights

fender-rumble-100-combo-1x15-386830.

2. Febs

Febs Supporting Member

May 7, 2007
    Philadelphia, PA
    Do NOT plug the external speaker jack of the Crate into the Fender! That's a powered output that will fry the Fender.

The only way to use those two amps together short of using some sort of mixer or splitter is to use an instrument cable to patch from the "send" on the Fender to the input of the Crate.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2016
  3. Rugmaster

Rugmaster

Dec 6, 2012
    I had a feeling it would, but just wanted to clarify since I don't really know anything about "pwr/pre amp in/out" jacks. Could I send the Fender's signal to the Crate then?

4. Febs

Febs Supporting Member

May 7, 2007
    Philadelphia, PA
    Yes.

5. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    @Rugmaster — Use an instrument chord to connect from the effects "Send" on the front panel of the Rumble 100 to the input of the Crate combo.
    Be careful with the levels. If the smaller amp complains, turn down.

Perhaps consider selling your combo "collection." :cool:

Last edited: Feb 26, 2016
  6. Rugmaster

Rugmaster

Dec 6, 2012
    Thanks for the help, and the only way I'll sell them is if I get my SVT and 810 back from my bands jam studio ;)

spaz21387 and Jim Carr like this.
  7. Because everyone assumes you are a broke arsed teen with two combos and no money for a real amp.

8. What "outs" does the Crate have apart from the verboten extension cab? A tuner or headphone perchance? Success is far from guaranteed but noise making could happen.

What is the need for tone at Fender100 volume? Might be better off with a pedal.

9. Rugmaster

Rugmaster

Dec 6, 2012
    :eyebrow:

Actually the Crate does have a headphone out. I don't know how I keep overlooking these little things. Both amps also have rca jacks, but I'm going to assume that its probably not a good idea to mess with any of those things either...

Also I wasn't supposed to post part of that message that was in response to Jim, that damn draft saving feature can be a pain in the butt sometimes!

10. RCA jacks on combos are pretty well all inputs. Headphone out to RCA in via conversion bits might do the trick. Could also give a mess of distortion.

Rugmaster likes this.
  11. Rugmaster

Rugmaster

Dec 6, 2012
    I'll give that a try then as soon as I get a new cable, accidently snapped part of it off last time I used it. I appreciate the help from everyone!

12. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    What might work is running your bass into both amps via an a/b box and rolling off all the mids and treble from the Fender.

That will give you some low frequency reinforcement and possibly some phase issues but does not cost much to try.

JackANSI likes this.
  13. Jim Carr

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    @Rugmaster — Sorry I misunderstood your question. :roflmao:

Using the appropriate cable, running the headphone out of the Crate into the Fender CD player R/L inputs would work, but will turn off the Crate's built-in speaker. Another way would be to Mic the Crate and run it to the Fender—also not ideal, as feedback will be an issue. Otherwise, you might seek to modify the Crate in order to bypass the internal speaker disconnection that the headphone-out jack activates.

14. 5544

Dec 1, 2015
    Why not get an ABY pedal?

abbox.

15. Jim Carr

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    The OP wants the "tone" of the Crate to be amplified by the Fender Rumble, but the Crate has no effects out. Although the headphone out of the Crate defeats the internal Crate speaker, it could still be sent to the CD inputs of the presumably louder Fender Rumble (see my second post above). The other alternatives are to mic or to mod.

One that thing @Rugmaster may wish to consider is installing/wiring a speaker jack on the Fender Rumble enabling the use of its speaker(s) as an extension cabinet to the Crate.

If you don't mind lugging the (65 lbs?) Fender combo around as an "ext. cab," it could also act as a spare amp. :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

16. Headphones out to "Return/Power Amp In" using an instrument cable should work. Will mute the Crate's speaker but give you full power at the Fender. You might need to adjust the Crate's volume knob to get the signal strength proper (not too hot, not too weak).

Jim Carr likes this.
  17. JackANSI

JackANSI

Sep 12, 2006
    PA
    The Crate will probably disable it's built in speaker if you use the headphone jack as a slave out.

The external speaker one will work IF you get a DI box that can convert the speaker level to a more sane level for the power amp in on the Fender (Radial JDI could do it, but that might be a tad expensive for the purpose, ART ZDirect does have up to -40db pad and might work for $25, not 100% sure.)

18. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    I would definitely at least experiment with running the two amps in parallel -- i.e., by splitting your signal with an ABY box or some other pedal with two outputs -- to see how they sound together. I know you said you prefer the sound of the Crate, but maybe you'll like the combination of the two together just as well. This setup also allows you to set the volumes on the two amps independently, so you can make the Crate louder if you want to.

I've done this successfully with a pair of combo amps (Ampeg B100R and B50r) using a Sansamp pedal to split the signal. Something else that was cool about this setup was that after splitting the signal, I sent one line through my pedal board to one amp (the smaller one, which sat on top of the larger one) and a direct line to the other (bigger) amp. This was great when using effects -- especially those that tend to suck bottom end -- because the bigger, deeper-sounding amp received a clean signal and thus maintained the booty while the effects only came through the other. If you use any effects, you might be able to turn the difference in tone between the two amps into an advantage this way.

Jim Carr likes this.
  19. Seeing as how the Crate and Rumble are two different combos with two possibly differing variant sounds, I don't see how you'll get the exact Crate sound from the Rumble anyway.

I would just use an ABY pedal or any device built to do that. Then you can tweak both amps to taste.

20. okcrum

okcrum in your chest

Oct 5, 2009
    Verde Valley, AZ
    RIP Dark Horse strings
    The RCA jacks wouldn't be there if you weren't supposed to mess with them. :D

Are they labeled?

The headphone out on the Crate is the ticket. Even with the Active pad in on the Fender you won't need to crack its volume much.