Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Slawomirem Kurkiewiczem

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by oliebrice, Feb 23, 2004.

1. oliebrice

oliebrice

Apr 7, 2003
    London, UK
    I saw the Tomasz Stanko quartet the other night. For those who don't know Stanko is one of Europe's finest ever jazz musicians, an incredible trumpeter who has been making amazing music for decades. His quartet (piano, bass, drums) were all brillaint, all young polish musicians. the bassist, Slawomirem Kurkiewiczem, is a name to look out for. A bit Gary Peacock like in tone and style, he is really special. The group have one album out, called Soul of Things, on EM. I've not heard it yet, but its 3 years old and as all the band are pretty young I expect they've progressed a fair bit since then.

2. I saw them on Friday - stunning playing by all - very interactive and very ECM (moody euro jazz - somehow you can tell it's not born in the USA). Their new cd is called Suspended Night (ECM 1868) and I wholeheartedly recommend it.

3. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    I think we all owe oliebrice a round of applause, just for typing the guy's name in the heading.

4. oliebrice

oliebrice

Apr 7, 2003
    London, UK
    actually, I cheated and cut and paste it from a website. Great name though...