Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Slayer Records Song for WWF

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Boplicity, Apr 18, 2001.

1. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

In the "Maybe Three of You Care Besides Me" category, WWF has announced that Slayer has just recorded the song "WarZone" for the wrestling promotion, though no wrestler has been assigned the entrance music yet. The song may also appear on WWF's next CD collection of wrestlers' theme songs. Kerry King, the lead guitarist of Slayer is said to be a big wrestling fan.

The use of Slayer continues the WWF practice of inviting top metal bands to record wrestlers' theme songs such as Motorhead, plus WWF has recently used music from Kid Rock and Limp Bizkit. Monday's Raw also saw WWF use Marilyn Manson's "Fight Song" from the album "Holy Wood" to show a film vignette of wrestling moves. Great stuff...if you like both pro wrestling and heavy metal.

jo

2. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    is lombardo back with them? no? then nevermind. :D

3. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well, beings that WWF is now the ONLY fed around, I'd say they could draw just about anyone. I really haven't watched wrestling in about a year, but I use to to be a hardcore fan, my best friend still is...no, I didn't "grow up" I just stopped liking it

And I'd have to say that Slayer is kinda fitting for the WWF...

4. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    I agree.No Lombardo=No Slayer.

5. Lovebown

Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    Sweden
    Wait a minute, I thought you said you were born during the WW2....
    That makes you like what... 55+?
    And you're a fan of modern heavy metal?

That's really cool and really weird.

/lovebown

6. Boplicity

OK, here's the wierd, but true story. I am 57. From 49 until 54 I played bass in a series of heavy metal cover bands, but the most successful band I was in was an original heavy metal/hip hop band along the lines of Korn, Limp Bizkit, Rage Against the Machine...maybe most of all, Biohazard. To add to the wierdness, I'm not a guy. At my age, there I was, playing in such bands when most women are grandmothers.

I still enjoy heavy metal, but I appreciate a wide variety of music, although, try as I might, I can't make myself like country. Now maybe if I could "invent" heavy metal/ country, I'd be happy.

Oh, check a post I'm about to make about a new CD featuring a genre busting style.

7. Boplicity

Brendan, while WWF is now the only national wrestling federation, it did buy WCW which will be run by Shane McMahon and will debut in early June this year as a rebel outfit bent on destroying WWF. That should give us some cool interpromotional matches.

Plus the latest hot rumor is that Hulk Hogan has struck a deal with Universal Studios and USA Network to form a new wrestling promotion and names like Sting and Jimmy Hart have signed on. Word is that this will be a "family friendly" wrestling promotion.

No word as yet if Goldberg will be involved in either WCW II or Hogan's Family Friendly Wrestling.

jo

8. Lovebown

Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    Sweden
    Oh my god. You're a 57 year old WOMAN who covers rap-metal bands?

THats just... i cant believe that.. sorry =]

/lovebown

9. Boplicity

NO...I covered heavy metal bands like Iron Maiden, Guns n' Roses and, of course, Metallica. The metal/hip hop band I was in played all original music, though we sounded most like Biohazard and Rage Against the Machine. We had some Beastie Boys influence, too. We loved Machine Head, too.

I know it is wierd. It was a fun part of my life, but I don't have the energy to do that any more. Live metal/hip hop shows are very intense and, truth to tell, it was harder and harder for me to even begin to look the part of a heavy metal bassist. I mean...what could I WEAR? I looked stupid in hip hop clothes. I mean...can you IMAGINE? Of course I could do a Buckethead thing and wear a bag, bucket or a Mudvayne maskover my head. I'd look more like Shaggy 2 Dope, though, than the Mudvayne bassist.

It was time to call it quits, but it was one of the favorite times of my life.

jason oldsted

10. Lovebown

Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    Sweden
    Actually I can't imagine... you wouldn't happend to have a picture of yourself or your band playing?
    :)

/lovebown

11. Boplicity

Dang, I wish I did. I have a picture of me that was taken when we played in a battle of the bands, but it is a close up of me. I have video of my blues band, but that wouldn't give you any idea how the hip hop metal band looked, played or acted. I have a demo tape of some of our metal/hip hop music, but then you wouldn't see how we looked.

And somewhere I have a video of a TV interview done for Univision which called me "La Abuela Roquera" which was false, as I am not a grandmother even now, four years later. Oh and by the way, the television folks "borrowed" the one existing tape of my band at the Battle of the Bands, promised to give it back, but never did and claimed they couldn't find it, so to my sorrow, that one tape is gone for good.

JO

12. Niels Keijzer

Niels Keijzer Guest

Nov 27, 2000
    So Slayer Recorded a song for the World Wildlife Fund? Wow, they've really surprised me this time.

13. Boplicity

LOL! Actually, a few months ago The World Wildlide Fund ran Internet banner ads with a panda and words to the effect, "THe WWF: Protecting Endangered Species."

Being a wrestling fan, I automatically assumed the WWF(World Wrestling Federation) had taken up a very worthwhile charitable cause. I posted my comments about it at a wrestling message baord, praising the WWF highly for doing something positive to polish its tarnished image.

Man, did people straigthen me out in a hurry! Then , soon after, I read the WWF is suing the WWF for trademark infringement, meaning the World Wildlife Fund is suing the wrestling promotion for the infringement. That was several months ago. I don't know what ever happened with that law suit. In fact, it may not yet be settled.

JO