1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sleazy people posing as managers.

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Chili Bo Billy, Jul 16, 2008.

1. Hey everybody! I would love to hear your stories of people wanting a piece of the action. Over the years I've met some real winners, these slimey Sven Gali's think most musicians will fall for the schemes they plot. We used to play along, then when they would want us to open an account in their name or some other garbage line, we would start laughing !!! Totally embarass the fool. kick them out of the room.

let's hear em'

Chili Bo Billy

2. Gubna

Gubna

Oct 21, 2006
    San Francisco
    Isn't that the definition of a manager?! Sleezy.

but seriously, in one of my bands, we had a few managers over the years, first a close friend who helped, then someone a bit more professional. Eventually, she wanted to hand us off on another woman, someone I didn't like. The band ended up breaking up before that happened though.

I have met a few over the years that clearly were going to screw us, and realized it early enough to steer clear of them.

the next band I was in, the singer did most of the leg work, so it was alot better for us as a band, making the decisions, but we only got so far doing that.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    This guy used to date our drummer's mother claimed he was Sonny Bono's cousin, was given a cowboy hat by Willie Nelson, and even produced Robin Williams at one of our gigs. Of course, none of it was true. He owned a local feed store, and "Robin Williams" was his store manager. He banged his mother a couple times, and after promises of big rock stardom (which our drummer believed hook, line and sinker), we never saw him again.

Our drummer was really good at locating shady jerks to "manage" us. He even hooked us up with a Mafia guy once.

4. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Inactive

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    Your band's mother had her own drummer?! :bag:

5. KeithPas

KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    My first manager was in a country western group and his name was Tony C. He was a fast talker, had probable mob connections, always had a pocketful of money, and never had a job. He has passed on and in spite of his shortcomings he was my friend. For you old timers he was the cowboy cracking the whip all dressed in black on the old Corn Pops cereal box.

6. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    Yep ... that pretty much says it all!

7. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Fixed, wisenheimer!

8. Fret Boiler

Fret Boiler Pity World

Apr 12, 2004
    Purdue University
    My guitarist tells a story about a real winner of a manager he had several years ago. Apparently she would book him, and several other local musicians she was managing, at gigs for some price (say $600) yet she would tell the musician she booked him for only $400, and skim the rest off for herself.

How did my guirtist find out about the scheme? ... when the IRS came knocking. The bars and venues submitted one fee on their returns, and the musicians substantially less on their returns....big red flag. The punchline....the manager was indicted, had to declare bankruptcy, and the musicians had to pay out of pocket to the IRS for taxes on fees they never received!

9. MoD_Scotty

MoD_Scotty

Jul 22, 2007
    Thrapston, UK
    There's a complete douchebag in the Augusta area named Mike Vining. This clown has been trying to sucker bands onto his "Nothing Yet Records" label for years now. The name couldn't be more accurate. The handful of shows he's booked have always ended up stiffing the bands out of any money. He usually will set up a show with some small band coming through town, and not advertise at all. So no one shows up, and he ends up leaving the venue before the show's over.

We made the mistake of playing one of his shows. Of course he disappeared halfway through the show, and eventually called me at 7pm the next day. I recorded the message because it was too hilarious:

(right-click, save as)
    http://www.kevinrepking.com/Replacements/upload/music/ColdgritsMP3.mp3

We had actually run into him about a year before that show. He came over to where we practice and gave us his song and dance about wanting to sign us to his "label" for 2 years. His girlfriend was so wasted on xanex, she was literally drooling all over herself. The dude was a complete tard. The only reason we eventually played one of his shows was because we didn't know it was his until we had already booked it.

Every once in a while, he comes around to a show and tries to spam us with his crap...we promptly tell him where he can stick it. But he keeps coming back!

Here's his myspace page, btw:

http://www.myspace.com/nothingyetrecordsonline

STAY AWAY FROM THIS CLOWN!!

10. mjolnir

mjolnir Thor's Hammer 2.1.3beta

Jun 15, 2006
    Houston, TX
    I remember running into a manager by the name of Big Sexy, which was ironic because he must have been no taller than 5' 5" and every time I saw him he was dressed like a Peacock. First time I met the dude he was at one of our shows working as the manager of another band we were playing with, and right after we played he approached my drummer and me (read: fell into my drummer by mistake and tried to take advantage of a bad situation) and went into a drunken tirade about how badly we needed him and how far we could truly go with his help and his help alone. Shortly after, he got the band he actually was representing banned from the venue by throwing a temper tantrum because of the payout and chucking some chairs around the bar.

We ran into him a few months later at a different venue representing the same band as before, just as drunk as before, and he'd completely forgotten he'd ever met us, gave us the same shpeil again, got the band banned AGAIN, and we never heard from him or the band he was representing ever again.

11. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I've been approached by all kinds of cats at shows who fancy themselves booking agents/managers. I remember one time we were playing this divey bar - which BTW, is a great gig for us, but it's out in the middle of nowhere - wanting to work with us. He about broke my freakin' hand when he shook it and wanted to do a shot with me at the bar. I told him that I don't drink (I usually don't, but was just saying that so I didn't get caught in a conversation with him).

12. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
  13. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I have successfully avoided ever signing with a manager or a record company ... Who needs them?

14. denhou1974

denhou1974

Mar 6, 2008
    This is the reason why I insist that the venue pay me directly. Then the manager will have to come to me for his cut, not the other way around.

15. KeithPas

KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    True story:
    The manager I described in my earlier post gets us a gig at Dorney Park (an amusement park in Long Island) and asks us to drop by his nieces sweet 16 birthday party and play a couple of sets. We are traveling in a nice motor home and its all fun to us so we agree. We get to house in Commack and every single car in the driveway is a big black Cadilac, I thought it was a little weird but didn't think too much of it. The house is filled with people that could have been in an episode of the Sopranos. Big burly Sicilian dudes with slicked back hair and thin gangster moustaches. The whole house is filled with delicious Italian food cooked by old Italian women.
    We are playing our second set and during a break in one of the tunes this big Sicilian guy shouts out,"thats it, I'm gonna kill him" and throws his jacket back to get his gun from his shoulder holster and we quickly end that tune and call it a night. We high-tailed it backto the relative safety of our Winebago. The manager was completely unaffected by this, it was like it happened all the time; "whats the big deal?"

16. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    Really?

17. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    They needed to deduct her embezzlements as "commission" to offset the additional unreported income. Then they wouldn't have had to pay much(any) in additional taxes.

18. We had a guy that was interested in our singer, thought he was the most talented of the band. What he wanted was to groom the singer to sing his songs.This guy had collaborated with other writers,but wasn't a very good musician(hack comes to mind, but I'm being nice).
    I sent him some songs demos,due to the fact they were having trouble in the songwriting dept. Buddy tells me he hears nothing that would indicate strong songs.I find out later he wanted to get songwriting credits;my songs were already protected.:smug:

I left the band because this guy was turning the other musicians against me.I didn't care, I played in other bands. This guy promised so much to the group,but couldn't deliver on his promises.
    Two years later the singer calls me to come back and play with the band.The band wanted so much to believe this was their big break that they couldn't see what a schmuck this person really was.

Everything this guy would say about his contacts,musical knowledge,etc. I would challenge him on them, he told the band that I was poisoning the project. I was protecting the Band!!!!!

Everything unravelled over time.

Chili Bo Billy

19. jomahu

jomahu

Dec 15, 2004
    Bos, MA
    playing in an all-female band, we get LOTS of....um, offers. :bag: mostly after a gig. by drunk older men.

you think the music biz is grossly disproportionate in its ratio of sleazoids (not just manager, but promoters, etc.), or it's just the same as any other field?

20. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Hell of a story, Keith. I especially dig the whip cracking on the corn pops box.
    Now THAT's cool.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 27, 2021