Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by beachgeddy, Feb 2, 2002.

1. beachgeddy

Jul 11, 2001
    Muskegon, MI
    The bass on sledgehammer by peter gabriel is way too cool. I know its Tony Levin and I'm pretty sure its chapman stick on that song. Has anyone had any success in getting close to that sound with a bass guitar/effects, and how do you do it?
  2. ColdYinTiger

Jul 15, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    In sledgehammer its him slaping on his bass. I'm not sure how he exactly gets that tone. Its really cool and I have yet to figure out how he gets that slap tone. I've heard Marcus Miller get a similar tone at times, It might mainly just be EQ and Compression
  3. I think Tony played Sledgehammer by hitting the strings with a drumstick. He now uses and markets a product called the funk fingers.. essentially the same concept.
  4. ColdYinTiger

Jul 15, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    In the credits on SO, they didnt credit it as drumstick bass though, they did credit the drumstick bass for the song Big time with the quick little bass line in that.
  5. Off to technique, (I hope, I hope, I hope).
  6. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    You see Tony Levin play Sledgehammer on a stick in the Secret World Live Video IIRC.
  7. beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    It's a Stick. He used Funk Fingers on the song "Steam".
  8. ColdYinTiger

Jul 15, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Ok I know I'm not the thred starter but its cool to finally know how he does anyone want to donate to the Get CYT a Stick fund?
  9. hmm.. I must have confused big time and sledgehammer

I also remember hearing talking of tony using an unused diaper at the bridge as a mute... dont remember the specific song he used this on though
  10. Levin didn't use a Stick on "Sledgehammer." He used a fretless Music Man Sabre, actually. (That was on the list of the basses he lost in his barn fire.)
  11. that was "Don't give up", on which he used a Musicman stingray.
  12. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    you are right.

And he also use an octave pedal in the song. ANd there is other effect as well.
    But if you want to sound like it you really need an octave pedal.
  13. Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    well from the live video I've seen he uses a fretless with an octave pedal and...(wait for it)..A PLECTRUM..:eek:

(He uses the 'funk fingers' on Steam and the super nappy(diaper) bass on 'dont give up' I recall he dosent slap once on the whole concert)
  14. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Of course the bass line sounds amazing on Sledgehammer; but I think you have to take into account the fact that Peter Gabriel spends literally years in the studio, getting the sounds exactly how he wants them.

He was one of the pioneers of the Fairlight and using computers to sample, create and manipulate sounds digitally. If you look at the credits for this album there is Daniel Lanois producing as well and a whole host of post-production credits for engineers etc.

The actual bass sound probably went through a huge number of processes in the mix-downs and would have been altered many times and manipulated digitally - it may bear no relation whatsoever to how it sounded when Tony levin actually played it!

I think you have to realise that in the end it is a futile exercise to spend a lot of time trying to rer-create a sound from an album and it would be better to spend this time on learning about playing - technique theory etc.
  15. beachgeddy

Jul 11, 2001
    Muskegon, MI
    aha! thanks Mr. Lindfield! just wondering if there was a little box to step on to make this sound . . . oh well back to my technique/theory/etc.
  16. How much would it suck to lose a lot of basses in a fire?!?! The answer: A Lot!
  17. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I just saw Tony on a rerun of SNL with PG playing what appeared to be a Reverend Rumblefish on "Steam" using these stick attachments. Does anyone know where he sells them? Didn't see them on
  18. Starrchild

Nov 10, 2000
    The Bay.

I play it with the e string tuned down half a step.
  19. I play Big Time and Sledgehammer in a band I'm in. They're pretty f'in challenging not just in the bass parts, but in getting the band to groove. Very meticulously arranged stuff. For Big Time, the keyboardist doubles the main lines with some weird sound of his, and I play close to the bridge.

I don't think anyone in the audience gives a rat's ass about the bass sound. They want to dance. Play the notes at the right time.
  20. Here's his nappy/diaper in full effect! :D

According to his website he has sold out of Funkfingers, and currently has no plans to manufacture any more.:(