1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Sleep Mode On A Computer..

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by ZenG, Jan 19, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Do you turn your computer on and off several times a day?
    Or do you leave it in "sleep mode"?
    Is there any inherent danger in leaving it in "sleep mode"?

2. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    No.
    No.
    No.

I don't leave my Win 10 PC in sleep mode because I access it through my router with my wireless Win 10 Surface Pro at random times during the day for files and such. So, I leave it on all the time. I do reboot about once or twice a week or whenever updates come in.

If you're receiving updates or notices, sleep modes turns those off.

It's basically like an electric vehicle that shuts off at a traffic stop and starts up when you press the gas.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
    ZenG likes this.
  3. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    +3

ZenG likes this.
  4. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Sleep mode, and Hibernate as well, are perfectly fine to use as much as you'd like. In fact, it places less load on the computer than a shutdown / restart.

MJ5150 and ZenG like this.
  5. fretter

fretter

May 24, 2012
    PA
    I haven't turned off my computer in 6 years, but it's a Mac.

smeet and ZenG like this.
  6. Ben B

Ben B

Jul 13, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    No. Yes. No. I sometimes shut it down at night if I know that I don't need it until the following day.

ZenG likes this.
  7. kohanmike

kohanmike Gold Supporting Member

I have my MacBook Pro go to sleep through the day, but shut it down every night. As a retired support tech, I discovered that if you don't restart a computer regularly, the RAM will pile up and cause crashes because not all apps are properly programmed.

Groove Doctor, Stumbo and ZenG like this.
  8. Low84

Low84 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Agreed.

I use Macs at home and PCs at work. Unless there's a reason why I need to do a restart or a shutdown, they're always on... or in sleep mode if I'm not actually using them. Less stress on the parts than constantly doing start-ups.

I do the same with my Android phone and tablet -- always on unless they need to be restarted or powered down.

ZenG likes this.
  9. slobake

slobake resident ... something Supporting Member

At home I turn my Mac off when I am not going to use if for a while, it also goes into sleep mode if there is not activity.

10. twinjet

twinjet GE90-equipped Moderator Staff Member

Sep 23, 2008
    I didn't know that. Interesting.

11. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    IME/IME as a software tech, PCs need can be left on but need to be rebooted/restarted regularly. The more in use the more often. For me, it's Usually when I start my day.

12. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    No, I don't use sleep or hibernate on Windows 10, just a screen saver. It restarts automatically after an update. I'll restart it manually if it starts acting strange.

13. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I never turn off my Windows 10 laptop, but I do reboot after installing updates. I use the default power settings in Windows, except I disabled hibernate.
    I use dual monitors, and not the laptop display, so sometimes when it would drop into hibernation it would hang up trying to wake up.

-Mike

14. But it uses use way more power when dormant than sleepmode, right?

15. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    I have no idea. I have no central air, or any for that matter (I hate it), so I use way less energy per annum and don't worry about it.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
    bolophonic likes this.
  16. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Sleep will use between 12 and 25W, depending on what your system config is.
    Powered on, and idle, with a screen off, you're at least drawing 75W for newish systems. If you have a GPU, multiple harddrives, etc, you're well over 150W in that case.

ZenG likes this.
  17. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    I suspend mind, as that's what Linux calls it.

Larissa238 likes this.
  18. I leaev my home PC on all the time, but let it sleep between uses. I re-start whenever it gets cranky or the fit moves me.

I use Teamviewer to access my work and home computers, so I want them accessible at all times. (There are about 40 work computers I can reach this way as well.)

19. D M C

D M C Oh good god, this again? Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2015
    North America, Earth
    On the threshold of a verge on the brink.
    I used to use sleep and hibernate on my Windows 10 laptop but it would have trouble waking up, so I just shut it down.
    I use my laptop once a week or less so it doesn’t make sense to keep it on, even though it has to do updates when I do run it. Use my iPhone and iPad 98% of the time.

20. Oddly

Oddly Unofficial TalkBass Cartographer! Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    I tend to turn off my pc when I go to bed and turn it back on when I get up. The wifi/ router stays on although I do restart that every couple of days.
    So far so good.