Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

sleep

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by dmbbassdude, Dec 26, 2001.

1. dmbbassdude

dmbbassdude

Apr 25, 2001
    NY
    Hey. I have trouble sleeping, so my brother bought me a stereo with a sleep function on it to allow me to fall asleep listening to music. I am pretty sure it will work, but here is the problem: I have many classic rock cd's (zeppelin,beatles,etc.), but they are not going to put me to sleep. So what are some really good, mellow, relaxing cd's. Thanx.

2. Dumfish

Dumfish

Oct 6, 2001
    Santa Rosa, Ca
    My stereo also has the sleep function. And I too typically have trouble getting to sleep. I usually listen to the last tracks of the new tool cd and that helps me.:)

songs:
    Disposition
    Reflection
    Triad

3. sandman_96

sandman_96

Jul 16, 2001
    USA, Oklahoma
    Pink Floyd is always my choice to sleep to. Sometimes it makes you have some interesting dreams too.

4. dmbbassdude

dmbbassdude

Apr 25, 2001
    NY
    I have some Pink Floyd, never even thought of that, thanx.

5. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    there is a man by the name of Michael W. Smith. he made an instumental cd called "Freedom" i goto sleep lisenin to that everynight.

bp13

6. Some of the gentler classical compositions might be nice to drift off to sleep with.
    I have a cd that is all ocean/seaside noises with some very soft mellow music in the background....very nice.Also works if you have a lady freind in the vicinity. :p

7. :D KENNY G!! (runs off quickly with head back kicking legs in air and laughing hysterically)

8. ConTraBajisTa

ConTraBajisTa Guest

Oct 5, 2000
    auburn, ny
    one time i fell asleep listening to "mer de noms" by a perfect circle.

i used to listen to the titanic soundtrack cd thing when i was a little younger and i'd fall asleep (its all classical music).

9. go to my website.. and download these mp3's by " rauschfactor ".. it's VERY chill music, and should get you sleeping in a matter of mins.. works for me at least.. ;)

http://www.siniq.nl/rf/

10. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Falling alseep is usually when I listen to my jazz and electronic albums. Last night I fell asleep to George Benson's greatest intrumental hits.

11. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Beck, Mellow Gold
    Chris Cornell, Euphoria Morning

my two favorite CD's to fall asleep to.

12. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Beatles always put me to sleep

And yes it's the truth

13. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    I can't sleep when music's playing. I end up focusing on it and not sleeping. Personally, I have to have a fan running. The monotonous, droning sound is very soothing. After spending four years on an aircraft carrier you'd think I'd be able to sleep with anything!!!

14. Classical:
    Debussy is good.
    Shostakovich's 24 preludes & fugues is very nice (except for the Eb minor angry one - a great piece, but not for sleeping).
    Bach's Goldberg Variations was written for an insomniac, so give that a shot.
    Edgar Meyer's recording of Bach's Cello Suites is great, too.

Jazz:
    LiquidMidnight is dead-on: George Benson is great! It's killer music, but very mellow.
    Miles' Kind of Blue is awesome.
    Tuck Andress' solo guitar stuff is amazing and also good sleeping music.

Electronica:
    I love Amon Tobin (well, not that way), so I would certainly fall asleep listening to his music.
    I think that Hooverphonic might work, but I'm not extremely familiar with their stuff, so take that with a grain of salt.

Rock:
    Creed
    Repetitive, no annoyingly fresh ideas to jar you from your slumbers, no great musicianship to make you want to get up and practice, nothing striking or new. Just heavy pop on autopilot. Snooze away! :D
    (Sorry - I just couldn't help it!)

15. All good ideas, but, the absolute BEST way to get to sleep using a stereo, is to get sound effects CDs.
    I have a bunch of CDs from this "Sounds of nature" series, they are wild. If I put on "Rainstorms"; I'm knocked out in 5 minutes. The same goes for "Wilderness Lake." All you hear is the gentle rushing of water along with some very soothing bird calls. May sound weird, but, they will make you unconcious almost as fast as a Mike Tyson left. You can find them at most big Music stores.

Mike J.

P.S. If, for some reason you want to stay awake, just buy the CD with "dripping faucet," or "crying baby," and put your CD player on repeat. :D

16. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    miles davis

17. This will probably sound strange but.....

My dog,Cocoa,usually sleeps close to me on my bed at night.I find her close presence and rythmic
    breathing help to lull me to sleep.I usually rest my arm on her so I can also feel her breathing.:)

And yes.....I would prefer to have a human female but there! :p

18. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Same here. Music ends up waking me up more than anything. I have slept with a fan going for years. I can't sleep if it is totally quiet.

(maybe the reason I couldn't sleep with music on is because I was trying to fall asleep to stuff like the Dead Kennedys, Ramones, Minor Threat, and the Sex Pistols. Hey, it was a long time ago I tried that.)

19. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Heaven or Las Vegas by Cocteau Twins

1000 Years by Trey Gunn

20. Barfly

Barfly

Dec 27, 2000
    GTA, Canada
    Nevermind the tunes, just pull one off before bed...you'll be snoring in no time.