1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sleeper Keepers (Peavy TL-5 for me!)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RSmith, Dec 14, 2006.

1. RSmith

RSmith Supporting Member

Jan 18, 2003
    Springfield, Missouri
    I have bought, sold, and traded basses up one side and down the other, and my favorite so far is my Peavy TL-5. I got it in a trade here on TB and I love it! To me it smokes many basses costing much, much more, including some of the "untouchable" brands we dare not mention :D. Any other TL-5 players out there?

Anyone else find themselves a "Sleeper Keeper"? This would be a bass you never ever suspected would earn it's way into your gig bag but it has.

2. BassikLee

BassikLee Commercial User

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Owner: Brevard Sound Systems
    Ah, the TL-5. Flame maple body, six piece flame maple/purple heart neck, ebony FB, and one of two very nice electronics packages. What's not to like?? I agree, they run with the big boys, and do just fine. These were pretty expensive basses in their day. I seem to recall them listing at like 1800, in 1990-ish when they came out. I had one of the second generation ones. Swept mid, VFL pickups, not the "super ferrite" from the foundation/dyna series. I paid over 900 for it, new, BUT I worked for a Peavey dealer at the time, and got it for cost. If that bass, or ANY of the higher end Peavey basses had a "more loved" name on them, they'd sell for 2-3X what they do now, IMHO. My personal sleeper/keepers include a US Millenium 5er, and a pair of Brice Douglas 5s. The Peavey is a sleeper cuz nobody expect THAT GOOD of a bass to have ever come out of MS. I'd put it in a no-holds-barred match with a US Lakland, and not be nervous. My Peavey'd hold her own. The Brices are sleepers just cuz they are VERY nice Jazz 5s, and DIRT cheap on the used market. Rondo started off selling them for 299 if I recall. I got my ash/maple from them on clearance for 199. I got my LPB alder/rosewood from ebay for 150. The closest things to them in terms of feel, to me, are the MM SR5, honestly......

Enjoy that TL5!

Lee

3. Ed Goode

Ed Goode Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    The Brice Douglas 5 is quite an amazing bass, I'd love to get one for the limited 5 string stuff I do. I remember being quite confused when I first saw one, thinking that Brice and Douglas were two separate Rondo brands (which they are indeed now). Great bass ....

My sleeper is the Brice Prestige Z 6 string. I think too many people get them confused with the HXB406's, but the Prestige series is amazingly well built and very underpriced. The HXB's are okay, but well under the quality line of the Prestige Z's ... :cool:

And any sleeper thread would be remiss by not mentioning the Fender MIJ Jazz Specials .... just great players for under $400 used on Ebay all of the time ...

4. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

RSmith, what color is the bass? You get it from Bonafide? If so, it's my old TL-5 and yes, it was (is) an AMAZING bass. Sorry I let that one go!

5. RSmith

RSmith Supporting Member

Jan 18, 2003
    Springfield, Missouri
    Quad,
    Yeah I got it from Bonafide. He offered to buy it back too! I can't get my pic up for some unexplained reason.

6. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    imagesocket.com :)

7. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis

+1,000,000!!! I am probably known a big Peavey guy around here. I'm just glad to hear someone else say how great the USA Peavey basses are. Another sleeper is TBC. I just got a Chinese made TBC AP-500 today, and so far I am very impressed.:)