1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

sleeper recording amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ngh, Mar 21, 2017.

Tags:
  1. ngh

ngh

Feb 6, 2013
    brooklyn, ny
    what amps are you guys using to record? I'm not talking B15's or placing a mic in front of your 8x10, I'm talking little known secret weapon amps that can be found on the cheap. low watt things to pair with a nice DI signal, amps that would never cary a room but sound great real quiet with a mic up close, or might sound like junk by themselves but add character to a neutral clean tone. six string guys use all sorts of weird things like amps pulled out of old film projectors and the like, anybody have studio tricks for bass along these lines? solid state, tube, new, old, whatever!

2. Bassmec

Bassmec

May 9, 2008
    Ipswich UK
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    Well if you find up a minimalist single ended amplifier that uses a 6sl7 dual triode into a 6v6 pentode with a glass rectifier.
    You will have the same thing as an early fender champ c1
    Find an amp with a 12ax7 dual triode into an El84 pentode, that's a fender champ f1.
    This is a late 50's British version of a C1 champ by Elpico:
    image.
    but that's just again like the earliest fender designs straight out of the RCA electron tube handbook.
    Not hard to build from scratch and adjust to run different tubes, even if you can't find one easily.
    Look in old gramophones, tape recorders and AF amps in old radio ham gear.:)X

ScottTunes and CatSquare like this.
  3. ngh

ngh

Feb 6, 2013
    brooklyn, ny
    you ever record bass out of something like that? or a champ for that matter?

4. Bassmec

Bassmec

May 9, 2008
    Ipswich UK
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    Yes just make it drive an old speaker and combine that with the output of the little labs Di or straight into a motherload powersoak/speaker sim.
    Preamp wise a Mesa Studio pre amp or Ampeg SVTIIP or even something as simple as a Yamaha NE1 single band cut only parametric EQ.
    Those little octal 5 watt glass rectifier single ended amps, have a lovely saggy compressed feel to them with a very smooth extended break up point.:)X

e-flat likes this.
  5. In my humble opinion you should get a 1970 - 1975 Univox UB250. It is a solid state amplifier, 18 watts @ 4ohms. It sounds best for recording when you use its accompanying speaker cabinet that is loaded with the original Eminence 15" speaker.

6. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008
    Hello. For recording, nearly anything goes. Anything.

P-oddz and johnpbass like this.
  7. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone Banned

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    I honestly prefer to have my amp miked up, eventually also DI'ed for anything more serious.

But since you asked, what I use for home recordings is my EHX Black Finger tube driven optical compressor into my Zoom B3 with the BassPre preamp emulation and then the GalienKrueger emulation into an inexpensive Behringer Ultragain Mic100 microphone tube preamp before my sound interface.

Then after recording I split my recorded track up in two, pan it slightly to each side, and using VST's EQ'ing each, adding a bit of additional compression, then a VST called Bass Landscaper, which is free, that enhances the harmonics of the bass, then into respectively a bas amp emulator VST and a guitar amp emulator VST.

The track I use guitar emulator on gets a little chorus after the Bass Landscaper VST as well.

Pretty complicated I guess, but I like the result, which can be heard here (mind the bass and baritone guitar are first takes improvisations, so not perfect):

Other than that I get a really nice tone from using the microphone input on an old living room organ I own.

Only use that for practicing though.

Finally at the moment I got an old just recently renovated Dynacord Bass King 50W all tubes head from '64 which I got pretty cheap with a 15" cab home at the moment, it is possible to get it to play pretty low and still sound beautiful.

My guess is that would sound amazing miked up for home recordings.

But as it is it goes to our rehearsal place at next rehearsal, where I am going to use it in conjunction with my Trace Elliot GP75SM 130W 15" combo.

So won't get a chance to actually use that for home recordings.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
    johnpbass likes this.
  8. johnpbass

johnpbass

Feb 18, 2008
    Glen Mills, PA
    I've been using my Ampeg 20T to record. Great signal out of the tranny DI out. And I always try to run a "dry" signal as well so I can mix the "wet" and "dry" signals to taste. But as Snaxter says, pretty much anything goes for the studio.
    I've also has great results with a Kemper Profiling Amp. I found a great B15 profile that sounds really good.

9. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    My early '70s Princeton Reverb Amp with a similar vintage Celestion G12M-70 made for a great recording amp.

10. vvvmmm

vvvmmm

Dec 6, 2016
    Chi
    Ampeg BA-108; hit it with a boost or dirt pedal, I'm currently loving the Zvex Super-Duper.

A Pro,Jr. with a parallel DI can be cool, also.

11. Interceptor

Interceptor

Mar 29, 2005
    Madison, WI
    I'll second the Fender Champ. I've run one feeding several different bass cabinets mic'd together with a DI signal right off the bass and have been able to nail the Nashville tone with ease.

I'm about to got into studio in a "swing for the fences" effort, and will be using an Ampeg PF-50T for color together with a Cinemag DI.

12. MrBassman17

MrBassman17

Dec 30, 2011
    Brewster, NY
    Carvin pre amp into a Focusrite Scarlet interface, then into the computer with recording software. The signal is split at the pre amp so I can put it through a power amp and Carvin 210 cabinet for rehearsal and playing without headphones. Works great!

13. ScottTunes

ScottTunes Gear-A-Holic Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2011
    So Cal
    If I need it quickly, with no fuss, I use the DI in my TCE RH750 (same w/ RH450). It has the required compression and EQ for 99% of needs...

Mic'ed, I prefer my '64 Deluxe Reverb Amp or '66 Princeton Amp, through various speakers (details upon request), using a mic on the speaker (large or small diaphragm condenser/capacitor, and/or even various dynamic and ribbon mics).

Honestly, recording bass is easier than recording voice!! I'd be happy to advise... Lemme know!

14. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Ashdown LB30. Forget the ridiculous overdriven tones you will find in most YouTube videos. This sucker loves a mix clean. It has slightly more mid presence than a Fender or Ampeg naturally would.

Mesa Walkabout. Beautiful preamp. A miced 15" Scout cab with it is a thing of beauty too. I did a recording for my church using three channels. One straight from my 5 string P bass. One from the line out of the Walkabout. One on the speaker of the Scout combo. For three of the four songs the engineer used just the line out. For the other one he blended all three and it sounded pretty freaking great.

rodl2005 likes this.
  15. nomeX

nomeX

Nov 26, 2011
    H-Town
    Here's mine... Multivox Bass Combo.

50 bucks, and some parts and labor and my tech wanted to change the speaker. I said just put a speaker out on it, and I'll think about it... plug an active bass in and you can overdrive with your fingers.

Probably not more than 15 watts, if that.

16. Both great suggestions 4 recording. I've used both with great results.
    I'd imagine that li'l Ashdown CTM15 would also be sweet in the studio. The LB30 didn't work for me live at all. .but recording. ...sweet!

two fingers likes this.
  17. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    I can't comment on how it sounds in a studio but it looks like a nice little amp.

Ashdown is cagey about this and call it an all tube amp but the CTM-15 has a solid state preamp and a tube based power amp. Just sayin.

Last edited: May 9, 2017
    rodl2005 likes this.