1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Sleeping money and "P5"

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JayAmel, Mar 5, 2006.

1. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Carcassonne, France
    Hi folks,

I recently rediscovered the pleasure of playing a 4er and now I guess I'm going to stick to it. Though, I may need, now and then, to use a B string for some purpose.

I have an SR5 in my arsenal, and I don't use it anymore. I'm thinking of selling it, since that is pretty much money sleeping for almost nothing. Though, I'd like to still have a 5 for occasional purposes. Because of this, I am willingly on a budget (otherwise I'd better keep the SR5, huh ?).

I'd like to find a decent 5 at a reasonable price, and something that would have some kind of P tone. The first model that came in mind is the Yamaha BB415.

Any advice or suggestion, please ?

Many thanks,
    Jay

2. G&L Tribute

[​IMG]

3. Those 415's are really cool basses, and if you're looking for a pbassish tone I can't think of anything better in the price range.

4. Jay -

I have a BB415 and I had a Bongo. This may come as heresy to some but that is the EXACT reason I sold the Bongo last month. The Bongo was a great bass (outstanding/superior/awesome!) but for what I needed/wanted it was overkill with the Yamaha in my arsenal.

I have said it before and I'll say it again -- the BB415 is your best buy in a 5-string P/J Bass.

The quality won't be on par with a Stingray (but it nothing to sneeze at or be ashamed of!), nor will it even approach the Stingray sound -- but for a dead-bang simple "workingman's bass', it has everything you need and nothing you don't.