Sleeping money and "P5"

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JayAmel, Mar 5, 2006.

1. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Hi folks,

I recently rediscovered the pleasure of playing a 4er and now I guess I'm going to stick to it. Though, I may need, now and then, to use a B string for some purpose.

I have an SR5 in my arsenal, and I don't use it anymore. I'm thinking of selling it, since that is pretty much money sleeping for almost nothing. Though, I'd like to still have a 5 for occasional purposes. Because of this, I am willingly on a budget (otherwise I'd better keep the SR5, huh ?).

I'd like to find a decent 5 at a reasonable price, and something that would have some kind of P tone. The first model that came in mind is the Yamaha BB415.

Any advice or suggestion, please ?

Many thanks,
  2. Those 415's are really cool basses, and if you're looking for a pbassish tone I can't think of anything better in the price range.
  3. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

Jay -

I have a BB415 and I had a Bongo. This may come as heresy to some but that is the EXACT reason I sold the Bongo last month. The Bongo was a great bass (outstanding/superior/awesome!) but for what I needed/wanted it was overkill with the Yamaha in my arsenal.

I have said it before and I'll say it again -- the BB415 is your best buy in a 5-string P/J Bass.

The quality won't be on par with a Stingray (but it nothing to sneeze at or be ashamed of!), nor will it even approach the Stingray sound -- but for a dead-bang simple "workingman's bass', it has everything you need and nothing you don't.