sleeping with your metronome on?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bluez Dawg, Jan 2, 2006.

1. sleeping with your metronome while its on all night?

Is this a good idea? I want to do a lot to get my timing better so i figure I ask you guys what you think?
  2. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Have you tried practicing?
  3. Many times I been really close in matching it, but I feel that Im like 1-5 beats of the metromnome. And of corse you guys know darn well close is only in horse shoes and gernades, and some times in grammar hehe.

so what do you all suggest?
  4. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Go ahead but don't make a thread in 2 weeks about insomnia.
  5. Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    Of course, the real question is, will that improve your time? Or will it just make you REALLY REALLY REALLY great at playing at 120 bpm (or whatever)?

My drummer, for example, has a few tempo "holes" that he has great difficulty playing in. For whatever reason, 144 is near impossible for him. He always ends up pushing to about 160, or he'll slow down to 138 or so. He's remarkably consistent in his "comfortable" tempos, but occasionally we'll start a song in a tempo that his muscles simply don't want to play.

In my experience, the only way to develop great time is to practice playing great time.

A good way to work on this is to play double, triple, or quadruple the time reading on your metronome. For example, I crank mine down to 40 bpm, and consider the *click* to be beat one of a four beat measure. I'll practice for five minutes or so, and then I consider the *click* to be beat two. Then when I move through all four beats, I start placing the metronome click on the offbeats, and practice that way. When I've run through the whole gambit of possibilities, I change the tempo or change the time signature and start over again (40 bpm equals out to 200 bpm if you're playing a groove in 5/4!!).

Anyway, consider this. Thousands of musicians sleep with ticking clocks in their bedrooms, but are they exceptionally better at playing 60 bpm? I doubt it.

Frankly, I wish it was that easy.
  6. Thank you guys. DKERWOOD thats good idea, my timeing is ok could be better Im only a few beats of the messure but then again it shows dont it? Anways I will try both and Im going to be lisiting to my metronome all day as well even for practinging so my timing can get way better. Thank you again guys.
  7. :D Motion seconded
  8. Just practice with a metronome, or preferably a drum machine. Sleeping w/ a metronome on is guaranteed to do nothing but annoy you.
  9. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002

Reminds me of vocalists. So, I've got a very wide vocal range, chromatically, I can hit many notes within 3 octaves, but certain keys are more natural/comfortable for me, and I can consistently be in tune and perform well. Other keys, I'll find it harder to keep in tune or follow a melody, even though I can still hit all the notes. Funny how that works. Practice makes perfect I guess.
  10. It might do... Or you may start talking in a series of clicks in a rhythm instead of words....
  11. bassjus

Mar 30, 2004
    I'd go insane.
  12. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    bassjus....I just checked out the bass you had for sale. What a beauty!! Too bad I missed it.

Back to the topic. I like my bass and all, heck I like music also. I just don't think I'd get to the point where I would ever sleep with a piece of music gear. :confused:

13. Oh, cmon, evryone has slept with their bass at least once...
  14. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    That is probably the best way Ive ever heard of practicing time. My teacher just tells me to listen to a metronome and clap, trying to clap exactly with the beat. Its easier to tell when you're off that way. I think it translates decently well onto the bass.