Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sleepy Time Gorilla Museum

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by DigMe, Jan 1, 2003.

1. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I saw SGM (from the Bay Area) in concert this past Sunday in Ft. Worth at the Wreck Room. It was a fantastic concert and these guys are making some intense and very intelligent music. There's definitely some Henry Cow and Art Bears influence going on with a lot of other prog type stuff thrown in. These guys are doing something all their own though, that's for sure. If you're into experimental and progressive music then definitely try to catch Sleepy Time Gorilla Museum if they come through your area.

Some observations:

They ran out of time so I didn't get to hear the bassist play his big 8 foot long homemade bass thingie. I bet that rumbled (he was using Acme B4 cabs).

He did, however, get to play this bow looking thing (looks like a bow from a bow and arrow) and that sounded very cool.

The lead singer is one weird looking guy...he was very funny though.

It's a good thing their music is so damn good and fresh because their whole goth/dark metal/post-alice cooper look is pretty tired.

That violinist is amazing...

They have a percussionist who has a lot of homemade instruments that are cool and functional. He had this sort of tuned chime set that looked homemade and sounded really good.

Their CD rocks too.

The band they are touring with, Skeleton Key, were quite good too. Kind of tribal prog with some Tom Waits mixed in. Bassist was playing a Kubicki X Factor through an SABDDI into an SVT.

Anyone else into SGM?

brad cook