1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Slide bass guitar anyway?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by vyse933, Apr 16, 2006.

1. vyse933

vyse933

Mar 31, 2006
    Grand Haven, MI
    Yup i said it..slide bass guitar, lol. I was sitting in my room playing..and i picked up the ligature cap to my saxophone lig that i had lying around...and decided to use it like a slide. man that was alot of fun. has anyone else every tried this?

2. I've messed around with it a bunch of times using Bic lighters, they work pretty good I guess. It's a really hard technique to use effectively on a bass, but it's fun to screw around with.

3. vyse933

vyse933

Mar 31, 2006
    Grand Haven, MI
    yah, it really is. I ended up doing something not musical at all..but REALLy cool sounding. the ligature cap at the end is open in a circle..like a guitar slide..and i took that end and furiously scraped it against the G string by bridge, past both pickups..and got a SWEET sounding effect..and while i was doing that i could still hold on the strings and make a melody.

4. gwx014

gwx014

Dec 22, 2005
    I've always wanted to do that. I'll have to look harder to find something to use as a slide. You could probably do some really cool stuff on a Slide Piccolo Bass.