1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Slide bass - In praise of the Rockslide

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by blizward, Jun 15, 2016.

Tags:
  1. blizward

blizward

Feb 21, 2013
    Rennes - France
    I've played slide bass for quite a bit of time now and I can tell finding my sound and the proper technique on my own (not much slide bass players around...) as been a lot easier once I found and bought a brass rockslide.
    I needed a heavy slide to go along bass strings and it provided. It also proved way more comfortable than moonshine/mudslides or the usual dunlop suspect. I played one of the large brass models for almost three years and finally bought another one to leave in the bass case for emergencies.
    I ordered a blown glass one too, just for fun. It really is comfortable and it turns out being inspiring. What more can I say? When you're happy, you might as well share the good vibrations!
    If you have any slide related question or experience to share, you're very welcome.

Here is 5+ years of slides.

image.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2016
    Ghastly and Kongkamerat like this.
  2. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    I like your avatar 'Judy & Floyd'; how about throwing a pink garland around the whole thing.

3. blizward

blizward

Feb 21, 2013
    Rennes - France
    Good idea. I have to think this through. Could also imagine a yellow brick wall.

sissy kathy likes this.
  4. Kongkamerat

Kongkamerat

Oct 11, 2013
    I use a heavy steel(chrome?) slide almost all the time in my band. It is essential to my style now. In order for it to sound good (to my ears) I use high tension flat wounds and higher than average action. I wear the slide on my pinky. And most of the time there is some dirt.

5. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Do you guys have any sound clips of your slide bass playing? I've toyed with it a little but never really incorporated it.

Funky_Be likes this.
  6. fly agaric

fly agaric

Jan 18, 2016
    I'd love tips on slide bass. I can play slide just fine on the guitar, but never found anything that works on the bass.

Also: RIP Mark Sandman.

7. Passinwind

Passinwind I am Passinwind and some of you are not. Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Here's one of mine:

And here's the slide, which a friend made for me nearly 40 years ago:

Bass_Slide.

The indentations on the left fit in the "webs" of my fingers, and the ones on the right are for my fingertips. But I often play overhand instead (in either hand) and use the ridges for extra rudeness.

hrodbert696 likes this.
  8. fingerguy

fingerguy

Aug 2, 2016
    CT
    Question: would a fretless bass pretty much have the same effect?

9. Passinwind

Passinwind I am Passinwind and some of you are not. Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Not at all really, but it sure helps with playing with a slide.

10. fermata

fermata

Nov 10, 2015
    Slide bass is pretty fun. I built a two-stringer earlier this year. Pawn shops often have sockets available for reasonable prices. I'm using a thick glass slide with roundwounds, and the sound is very good.

fly agaric likes this.
  11. sludgelord3000

sludgelord3000 Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Not exactly slide bass, but not slide guitar either. Here’s me playin slide baguitar in my band Aboleth.