1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Slides? 0 / x?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Demon, Apr 28, 2006.

1. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    Ok ive understood thta when a tab says 5 / 7 i slide down from 5th fret to 7 with same finger, but what do i do when it says example 0 / 5? How can i slide from nothing?:S

2. jeff_bass28

jeff_bass28 Guest

Mar 21, 2006
    play an open string. slide up. simple.

3. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    from where:/

4. It feels a little strange, but you can slide up from the nut.

5. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    ok so, can i slide down from teh bottom also then? If it says 0/6 means i should slide up to 6 from the beginning of the neck ?

6. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    Also, when it says X on a tab, ive heard it means a dead note, but im not really sure how to make a dead note. Is it done the sameway as a harmonic?

7. I am not up on my tabs very much............I would think that a dead note may be the same as a ghost note...........not a harmonic...........

8. Yup, just for a percussive quality..FYI, Fieldy never needs to worry about executing those..:D

9. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    So maybe anyone could say how to do one then..?

10. Pierre_Pontroli

Pierre_Pontroli

Mar 18, 2006
    I think you pick the string as usual, but instead of fretting a note you just lay your fingers on the string so it has a kinda muted, thudding sound. The sound can be quite different depending on where you deaden the string, and the tab never actually tells you where to lay your fingers. Well I think thats how it's done anyhows!! It's what I do. Mr Pastorius does it quite alot, at tempo, and he gets a lovely frothey bubbly sound!

11. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    An "X" in tab is a ghost/dead/muted note. You accomplish this by touching the string to deaden the vibration, but not pressing hard enough to get a clean note.

For the 0/5 slide, start with your finger resting on the nut and just slide up to the 5th fret. A little practice will get you feeling comforatble with it in no time.