Slides used in Funk = Help!!!!

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by dannoman, Jun 8, 2005.

1. dannoman

dannoman Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2004
    I was wondering if anyone had some insight on how to accomplish this. I cannot figure this out. Not really sure on how to explain what it is, it's just when they slide up to one note then back to a lower with what's almost like a trill at the end. But they are sliding the trill with one finger. everytime i try to do this it ends up sounding like crap.

does that make sense???

:help: :help: :help:
  2. This is difficult for me to describe but just relax and try to make it feel natural. Don't focus on the notes, use it as more of a percussive addition to the song and don't over do it
  3. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    You mean sliding back and forth between two notes to create a trill? Sounds inefficient to me.

Is there a song where you've heard that used?
  4. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    There are "Trills" & then there are "Shakes"; to me, it sounds like Danno is describing a "Shake"(listen to EW&F's "Shining Star"...Verdine White does a tone of them on that track).

Another common Funk device & "Trill"-related...
    Slide up to a target note with your pinky(e.g. say the "E" note on the G-string)
    Then play a trill a step lower(D-D#-D-D#-D-D#)

A simple example would be-
    BOLD E= OPEN "E"
    All others played on the G-string(9-8-7 frets)
    The "Trill" is on Beat 4 of bar 2(in Red)...use your index & middle fingers to play(fretting hand).
    Slide into the 'E' at the 9th fret/G-string

You can also 'Shake' the D-D#-D-D# part.

***Experiment at putting these 'devices' at other places within the bar***
  5. dannoman

Feb 3, 2004
    yeah, what i am talking about is the shake... i just cant seem to get it....
  6. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    The entire hand has to move back & forth very quickly...I'm not 'the master of my domain' so this type of action comes easy(no pun intended).

Are you able to download Earth, Wind, & Fire's "Shining Star"?
    If so, listen & attempt to 'emulate'(he's doing it, IIRC, on the G-string's "G" & "E").
  7. Try lifting your finger off the fret when you go back to the lower note.

It's all about that sound, just listen to it and try to reproduce that same sound. If you can hear it in your head, it makes it a whole lot easier to play.
  8. dannoman

Feb 3, 2004
    Thanks guys.... I will start it up again tonight...... :bassist: