Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by relman, May 28, 2001.

1. Am i the only one who uses guitar slides on my bass? It is amazing what you can do with a clean tone or a bit of delay and these things...
  2. There've been a couple threads on this before, but to answer your question...

I've fiddled around with it a couple times, but never really tried writing any new songs/bass lines for songs with it. :)
  3. I have been tossing the idea of using a slide on my bass but wasn't sure of how it would sound. Does it sound clean? What type of slide is best? Does it take fingers of enormous strength?
  4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Do you use flatwounds? I always found slides of any type were to "ringing" with roundwounds.

I've used something made of iron, like a small adjustable wrench, works well. I've used it like a steel player uses their bar. If the slide has an edge, like that wrench, and you run it down/up roundwounds at high volume with feedback and high treble, the sound is terrifying!
  5. I have only been experimenting with one metal slide. It does sound pretty clean and it does not take any strenght at all, but you must remember that i use flatwounds on my bass. I don't know how well it'll work with roundwounds...
  6. sweet! I will have to give it a go.