1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

sliding 102

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by trblWthTrebles, Jan 8, 2012.

1. trblWthTrebles

trblWthTrebles

Jan 8, 2012
    I get 3/5 and 5\3
    but I'm confused by 3-3 and even 3-
    with no second note.

Also my slides thunk from note to note where
    recordings sound much smoother to me
    almost like they were fretless.

thanks

2. Jay2U

Jay2U Not as bad as he lóòks

Dec 7, 2010
    22 ft below sea level
    Fretless is the way to go if you wanna slide a lot. For occasional slides on a fretted instrument one needs a light touch while moving. Once there you hammer the string down again to make it sound.
    I'm not very familiar with the TAB-language, as I play mostly by ear. Sometimes you just slide up half a scale or so and mute directly after. Maybe that's the 3-.

3. Bassguy87564

Bassguy87564

Jul 5, 2006
    NJ
    I agree with Jay2U if your going to slide a lot fretless is the way. The problem with fretted instruments you will always get this glissando effect. The way I think of it, and I'm sure there will be a lot of people that will disagree with me, the quicker the hand moves during the slide the more it will sound like a slide. When you are moving faster the notes will blend more and the attack from when the string hits the next fret will be over powered. Just experiment around with it the more YOU play around with it the easier time YOU will have coming up with a decision of what YOU think sounds best. As for the 3-3 and 3- to me that looks like different attacked notes I have never seen a slide written that way as tab. Maybe the 3-3 is like start on 4th finger then slide the first finger up. I would say check the key or legend of what ever publisher you are reading from.
    Ps. they might be using a fretless on the recording do some research check out the bassist is and what he plays.