Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sliding Fretless Harmonics

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by APouncer, Nov 9, 2000.

1. APouncer

APouncer

Nov 3, 2000
    Lancashire, UK
    I have heard people hit a lovely harmonic on a fretless and then sli-ii-ide it straight up, or down! ? ! ? ! ? How on earth do you do that?

2. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    There are two ways I can think of

1) Hit the harmonic at the usual places (7 5 4 3 and a bit) then press down on the board and slide.
    2) 'Fret' the note anywhere and make harmonic 12 frets up (or the usual intervals) then slide up down vibrato whatever. There are two ways (isn't there always) of 'making' a harmonic this way.
    1) Rest your plucking hand thumb at the relevant point and pluck with your little finger.
    2) Do a plucking hand tap but instead of fretting the note let it bounce off.

Practice it until its burnt in the muscle memory and you can do it and concentrate on the music you are making not how you make it.

NB if you want to be really flash fret a 7th chord (root maj third minor seventh) and as you form it, form the shape with your plucking hand 12 frets up and tap it so the harmonics come out, now slide it. Now you has a sliding harmonic chord.

3. yep, i would have to agree with CS

4. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    I love this technique. I actually had never heard it when I was fooling around with my fretless and did it. I was so proud of myself and thought I had invented something! Then, of course, I heard it on the radio two days later...

5. yea that reminds me of when i lived in an apartment in the seventies, it was number 7 and i had to walk up a couple of flights of stairs to get to it. well push comes to shove i had just finished my best song ever, it was called stairway to seven, well i am sure you realize my disapointment a couple of days latter when i heard a new track from zeppelin 4