sliding from one string to another

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by themajorrager, Aug 22, 2005.

1. i have gottena couple of books to help expand my technique but a couple of exercises in these books have slides that start on one string (say the A) and end on another string (say the G). how on earth are you meant to play this? i listen to the cd and it just sounds like a normal slide?
    can anyone help please?
    hear is an example:

(the line from 1-5 is continuous in the book)

2. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Hmmmm...without actually hearing what you have on disc-

Play the Bb("1st fret on the A-string") with the index finger.
    Slide into the C("5th fret on the G-string") from the "3rd fret of the G-string" with the pinky. can keep the index finger on the A-string; you would slide into the 3rd fret/A as you slide into the 5th fret/G.
  3. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

It depends on how's that notated on the book. Some people (including me) make a difference between a slide and a slide with a slur ("slurred slide"?). If you have two or more notes connected just with a line, it means that you should slide to the next, but anyway pluck the target note with your right hand, which isn't a diificult thing. Just make sure that there are no gaps (silence) between the slide and the target note. But if there's a slur along with the line, the target note isn't supposed to be plucked with the right hand, something that can't be done on different strings unless you use some kind of left hand tap.

Hope this helps.
  4. Spikeh

Spikeh Sex Strings

What annoys me is the following:

Loses me every time... when I listen to the song, it's something like:

There's a definite pattern, but the tab is just lazy :|