1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

sliding harmonics (as in even flow)

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by 15000volts, Mar 18, 2010.

1. in pearl jam's even flow, the bassist does some sort of sliding harmonics. does anyone know how to do this?

at 0:22

2. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    You have to have a fretless.

What you do is hit a natural harmonic, then quickly press the fretting finger down and slide. It takes a little practice to get it to speak properly.

3. Twnty1inRF

Twnty1inRF

Sep 13, 2007
    DC Region
    Play the harmonic and keep your finger on the node to start the harmonic, push the string to the fret board at the node and slide.

You can't slide the harmonic up on a fretted board but I do it all the time on my fretless.

4. 16notes

16notes

Dec 18, 2005
    Hit any harmonic (ex. G string 5th fret) and keep your finger
    on the string while it rings. Then press the string down
    and quickly slide up the string. Start slow and get comfortable;
    then work it into a fluid movement (hit/press/slide).
    It's a bit easier on fretless; but can be done on fretted as well.

Donn

5. KaseOfBass

KaseOfBass Put some stank on it... Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: GHS Strings
    Man, I love that song!

6. DreadRaver

DreadRaver

Nov 19, 2008
    Associate of Cusack Music / Mojo Hand FX
    Isn't he doing a "pinch" harmonic with the right hand, then sliding up from the nut?

edit: never mind that, I watched again, he is starting it at the 5th or maybe 7th fret, hard to tell, the camera is behind him just as he hits the harmonic, but then he slides up starting at the nut, not at the node (which would kill the harmonic, wouldn't it?)

(also, thanks for the trip back to 1992!)

7. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    well, this is not actually correct. You can slide harmonics on a fretted bass, it's just a bit harder. You have to avoid stopping the string on any fret in the direction of the slide.

just sayin'

8. I was thinking almost the same thing, but only for sliding harmonics in general. If Jeff Ament used a fretted bass for evenflo that slide would not have worked, and even if it did it would have sounded pretty lame.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 30, 2020