Sliding Harmonics?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by FunkyDom, Jul 18, 2004.

1. FunkyDom

Aug 31, 2002

I was listening to the Fleckstones Live at the Quick cd and during a part of Vics amazing Grace solo it sounds like he does a harmonics slide (not an artificial harmonic, a natural one).

Does anyone know what i'm talking about and how to do it?

2. Scott Lynch

Scott Lynch Supporting Member

chances are he's either using a tremolo bar or is using a whammy-type effect. Harmonics (and other notes) can be bent down slightly by bending the neck forward (slightly) and can be bent upward slightly by pressing down on the string being played on in between the nut and where the string goes into the tuning peg. If in doubt look for videos of his playing online or in VHS/DVD format so you can actually see what he's doing.
  3. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    He was not using a tremolo.

I've played this song a zillion times and can do it easily. Here's how I do it. I just play the harmonic and slide it as if on a fretless.. The harmonic will not sustain for very long so you better do it quickly. With some practice you'll get it right.
  4. keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Play the harmonic(s) and fret the string down and slide. Especially fun to do on a fretless.
  5. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    why do you think it was a natural harmonic? Chances are it is the same note as a natural harmonic but it is being played as an artificial. If it's the one i'm thinking of he plays what would normally be a natural harmonic on the 5th fret of the G string, but he plays it by fretting the g at the 5th fret then playing the artificial harmonic at the 12 the fret, which is the same note, then slide to the 7th fret. It is very hard to get it to retain it's harmonic qualities on a fretted bass.