Sliding Harmonics?

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by jazzy bass man, Aug 25, 2005.

1. Is it possible to slide harmonics on the DB?
  2. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    sure it is

you can do it on any stringed instrument
  3. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    I have never tried.... but I am quite sue that it isn't as easy to pull off as say, a fretless electric bass. Maybe Stanley Clarke does it?
  4. jazzbassnerd

Aug 26, 2002
    I've seen Charnett Moffett (did I spell his name right?) do it. He gets it to sound great. I heard it on the album "For the Love of Peace..." and when I saw him do the solo bass concert for that album he did it too.
  5. Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    I've heard Ron Carter do this. He's a monster!

6. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Hit the harmonic. Put your finger on the nut. Depress the string and slide up. Haven't thoight about sliding down until just now...
  7. Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I saw Marc Johnson do this at Birdland back in May. Everyone I was with sort of stared at me as if to ask, "Hey, why can't you do that?" I got home and practiced it for a while and yeah, I can make a harmonic slide to some extent. But the guys who are skilled enough to work that seamlessly into a solo... that takes a lot.
  8. Ashley Long

Ashley Long

Jan 3, 2004
    Its quite possible, its easiser with harmonics that speak more easily such as the octave and the tuning harmonics. Providing the harmonic is activated sufficiently and the finger is placed in the correct position then its quite easy after a while! Check Percy Jones out, as far as I know he does it on a fretless electric which has a really high action.
  9. FredH

FredH Supporting Member

Huhh... sounds interesting, can't wait to try it.
    Could be cool way to end a song.