Sliding harmonics...???

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by InfinityJaco, May 18, 2002.

1. InfinityJaco

Jun 5, 2001
    I'm curious about sliding harmonics...I know it's quite possible to do it on a fretless bass because I've done it before, but how do you do it on a fretted bass?! I have a Victor Wooten Bass Day 98 DVD and he does it on one of the ending improv. grooves in the Additional Interview section...How?!! How is that possible with natural harmonics?? I know about artificial harmonics but Victor aint doing that in the DVD!
  2. I´ve done but didn´t sound too clear..Try this:

Fret a note with your index en the string you wish and put your pinky or ring finger or whatever you use over the fret you want to get the harmonic from (eg 5 frets above the one you fretted with your index). Then just slide both fingers together, it's kind of difficult because you have to keep your hand very firm and keep the interval (you will have to get your fingers closer one from each other as you slide..) If it works, congrats, but if not, i'm a jerk :D.. Well, I just figured it out and seems like it works but is just a matter of practice i guess..
  3. You can do it, but it never seems to come out very clear. I think a lot of pros add compression when they do harmonics.
  4. Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    sound a natural harmonic (say 5th or 7th fret on G string) while the harmonic is ringing press down on the fret and slide up (or down) voila.

Another similar technique is to sound the harmonic and then press down the string BEHIND the nut for a kinda 'bending' effect.
  5. oh.. for bending harmonics I have a technique:

Press down the fret you want to get the harmonic from.. then slap the string palm-muting it and bend it. The note of the harmonic will vary not only depending on the fret, but also on the distance place your right hand to mute the string with your palm.. This one dos work perfectly for me..

6. Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    you can also play an 'artificial' harmonic and just bend the string (Jacos intro on Birdland).
  7. to bend harmonics, play the harmonic and press down the part of the string above the fret really good