Slight Amp Problem

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by darkspec, May 27, 2005.

1. darkspec

Jan 2, 2003
    Cleveland Ohio
    Hey guys, I have a slight problem. I just receieved a Hartke 3500 and Avatar 4X10. Prior to recieveing said items I purchased a Ampeg 6ft 1/4" to Speakon Cable. I use said cable to go from amp to cabinet and I get no sound. I used a old random instrument cable and it worked though. So heres my question to you, Could I be using the wrong cable? The Ampeg cable is marked Mono Bridged, could this be wrong?

I really want to try my new amp, any help would be much appreciated.

Edit:The Cab is 8Ohms
  2. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    Ampeg bridge cables are wired differently than typical cables. I'd return the cable and get a regular heavy gague speaker cable.

DON'T keep using instrument cables or you will cause damage to your amp over time.
  3. darkspec

Jan 2, 2003
    Cleveland Ohio
    I know not to use the instrument cable, but I just wanted to check. Thanks for the info on the cable man. I guess I have to return to guitar center for a exchange yet again. I dont get why the associate said to get the ampeg if it wouldnt work....ruined my day.

Thanx for the help though.
  4. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    You don't have to return the cable, just open up the speakon end and swap the wiring, the tip of the 1/4" should go to "+1" on the speakon end, and the sleeve of the 1/4" should go to "-1" on the speakon end.

There's nothing wrong with the cable, just the option it is connected to inside the speakon end. You can swap this in about to minutes with a small phillips screwdriver, so why waste your time driving back to the store?
  5. darkspec

Jan 2, 2003
    Cleveland Ohio
    How do i open up the speakon?
  6. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    The end unscrews. If/when you rewire, be sure to remove the mono-bridge label in case anybody else ever uses it.
  7. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    Not quite..........

ALL mono bridge cables are wired least almost all. All that follow the Neutrik wiring conventions, anyway.

The single connection cable is wired with a wire on the terminal labeled 1+ and a wire on the one labeled 1-.

The bridged mono connector is wired with wires to 1+ and 2+

When in doubt, ask the folks who make the connector......

That is a reference for wiring the Speakon connector.
  8. markfsy

May 14, 2005
    Suffolk, England
    Jerrold - I thought that's exactly what Eric said.?