slight buzzing when i play

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by darkshined, Oct 24, 2004.

1. darkshined

Oct 2, 2004
    i'm a relatively new bass player (12 weeks) and i have a slight problem with fingering. there is always a very slighy buzzing on the fretboard when i play, and i do press down as hard as i can on the string but it still buzzes:( i was just wondering if this is normal or whether i should work on a certain exercise to help pressing down on the fret board correctly. i do put my fingers just behind the fret also.
  2. You're either just plucking the note too hard or,(more than likely) your action is too low. What kind of bass are you playing?
  3. Yes, sounds like your action is too low. On a site note, you shouldn't have to use much force with your left hand. A comon mistake and misunderstanding of beginners. Try to set up the action a little higher and experiment to see how much force you really need with your left and right hand.
  4. Your truss rod may need to be adjusted... if you raise up the action and it still buzzes, you probably need to loosen it up a little bit. Dont try to go too high with the action cause youll just end up hurting your fingers and getting pissed off cause your bass will play like crap. If you fiddle with it and nothing helps, just take it in and have it set up by a pro.

Good luck
  5. darkshined

Oct 2, 2004
    forgive me for sounding stupid but i dont understand whatr "action" is (is it how far the string is from the frets?) and i havent got a clue what the truss rod is. (even after
    :meh: playing for 12 weeks)
  6. darkshined

Oct 2, 2004
    playing peavey milestone 3 international series
  7. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    If you don't know this stuf, then get thee to a luthier or a reputable guitar repair shop, and ask for a setup - should be 35-40 bucks, sometimes plus new strings. They will set the action, intonation and relief (by adjusting the bridge and the truss rod) - you tell them if you want it high, medium or low and they should be able to accommodate - Action is how high off the fretboard the strings are, the Truss rod is inside the neck controlling how much bow or relief the neck has.

Check out the Sticky post at the top of the Setup forum, called "All Action and Relief Questions answered here" or something.... But before you start to learn it, go ahead and have a pro do it.
  8. I always do the set up myself. It's pretty easy when you have the propper tools. Do some research on the Internet. I never understood how somebody else but me could set up my bass. I find it too individual. :cool:
  9. annannienann

Aug 7, 2004
    well here is some advice, when i got my first bass, like a little child i guessed how to make the buzzing stop. i moved the action all the way to the top. now at the 15fret i had a good 1.5 inches of clearance, i played like that for 8 months till i got my second bass. the results of this are 1)playing was very painful with lots of blisters for about 5 months 2) at the end of it my finger are so strong can break wallnuts with them, and i can hold a flame to my finger ends for 47 second be for it hurds.
  10. I would take it to a pro...if you bought the bass new,then most shops to a first time set up for free(at least the one where I live does)...if you bought the bass used,it may need a fret job or someother type of work.