Slight Buzzing

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by dramatwist, Jul 15, 2020.

1. dramatwist

dramatwist

Sep 27, 2019
    Steinberger Spirit 4-string. Slight buzzing on the E-flat on the A string at the 6th fret. Everything else on the fretboard is good. Have never encountered this before. Suggestions? All my usual repair sources are not open for business right now.

2. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Add a hint of relief. Also check with a fret rocker to see if the 7th fret is high.

dramatwist and RSBBass like this.
  3. dramatwist

dramatwist

Sep 27, 2019
    Thanks, man.

4. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I'm dealing with the same issue, but the buzz is at the 5th fret on the D string. It's clean everywhere else on the fretboard. I assumed it was a high 6th fret, but I'm starting to think the 5th fret might be low, which would cause the same problem. I don't have a fret rocker, but used a high-quality hex key wrench as one, and if that's accurate I think it's confirmed my suspicion. It rocks when it spans frets 3-5 and frets 5-7, which would happen if the 5th fret is lower than the others. It doesn't rock when it spans 4-6, which would also happen if the 5th is lower than the others. But I don't trust this, so I think I need to take it in.

EDIT: Since the test above, I think my neck adjusted to the room (had just come home from the shop), and frets 2-4 started buzzing too. With that, I raised the D string saddle a bit, and it all improved. It hasn't been completely cured, but it's tolerable.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
  5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 17, 2021