Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

"slight harmonics?"

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Brad Barker, Mar 9, 2002.

1. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    okay, so this is actually a GUITAR technique question, but i hope that yallz will be able to help me with it.

i actually have no idea how to make that sound. has it to do with picking? do i let my thumb hit a certain part of the string?

i really have no clue.

what i do know: when i was using a guitar mag's transcription of tool's parabola, there was a section of the guitar "solo" where it instructed "slight harmonic." this is the part where those "off" notes are, and i really want to be able to play it.

any input (positive input, that is) is appreciated.

2. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Lots o' distortion. Bridge pickup. A little bit of thumb contact at the harmonic node helps. Too much, though, and you get nothing but harmonic.

3. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    will this be the harmonic node that is exactly half the distance between the fret and the bridge?

looks like i'll have to 'shed a lot.

i really suck at "pinch" harmonic type stuff, where i have to find the node without any frets to help me.

and i was trying to get some thumb on the string, but it just wasn't working...

thanks!