Slight hum stops when you touch metal...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Michael Jewels, Oct 5, 2004.

1. My Ibanez Musician is making a little noise.

There's a slight hum coming from the amp (not the amp, not the cord) that stops when I touch the metal part of the input jack while it's plugged into the bass. When I let go, it returns.

Is this a short?
    Is it a grounding problem?

Any info appreciated.

Mike ;)
  2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Does the noise go away when you touch the strings as well? If NOT then you probably have a bad ground somewhere in the bass (typically the strings are connected to ground through the bridge).

If the noise does go away, then it's typical...most basses will do this to some extent. If it's a LOT of noise and you get it in different rooms or with different amps then there still could be a bad ground in the bass.
  3. The hum is slight while holding the bass, gets louder when I touch any of the tone controls, but disappears completely when I touch the metal part of the input jack. It gets slightly lower when I touch the strings.

4. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Sounds like a grounding issue to me
  5. Itto-Day on the ound-Gray
  6. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    All basses do this at my house. But that's just because I only have 2-prong plugs. As long as I touch the strings it's not noticeable, but if I take 'em off for even a second, BZZZZZ!!!!!! Turning down the treble helps.
  7. So, you have to use 3 prong to 2 prong adapters? Have you screwed the little tab coming off the adapter intot he center hole of the wall socket yet? You know, underneath the coverplate and then put the coverplate on top of it and screw the whole thing together? That's a cheap (and not always effective) way around the no-ground issue.
  8. Thanks for all the replies, everyone. :)

Now the next two questions: Would you take it to the shop to get it fixed?

How much do you think it would be to fix?

9. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA

Yeah, but it doesn't do anything. The screw would have to be connected to a large piece of metal to do any good.
  10. Well, usually that screw is connected to the metal switch, the switch connected to the metal outlet box....

but either way, not working here...