1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Slight hump at 5th fret. Correctable without fret dressing?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Rusty the Scoob, Mar 25, 2013.

1. I've got a 2011 American Special neck (thin profile, with graphite stiffener bars) with a glued-on Maple fretboard, that has a very slight hump at the 5th fret. It's a new setup so I'm hoping it'll just settle out but so far no luck. (it's been strung and loosely set up for about a month, set up properly for about a week)

I need this bass for the next few weeks so I can't take it in to get the frets dressed. Is there another way I can get this hump to settle?

2. Andyman001

Andyman001 moderation must be taken with a grain of salt Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2010
    Idaho
    An actual "hump" in the board or a high frett?

3. I believe it's in the wood.

4. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    Sounds like something that should be covered under warranty - I'd check that out first...

- georgestrings

5. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Commercial User

Feb 4, 2011
    Fillmore, CA
    Professional Luthier
    A hump at the 5th fret usually means that the truss rod is too tight. Have you tried loosening the truss rod, bringing the bass up to tune, and letting it sit overnight?

6. Good thought, but I bought the neck on Ebay with no body.

That sounds like a good idea, I'll give that a shot tonight. It's got a slight bow overall, the way I normally like it, but there's just enough of a high spot to choke off the A and D on the 3rd fret a little. Should I let it sit overnight tuned to pitch with the truss rod still loose or should I bring the neck back to almost-straight?

7. Andyman001

Andyman001 moderation must be taken with a grain of salt Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2010
    Idaho
    I'd send a message to the ebay seller anyway, It couldnt hurt.